Did I fail the MPRE? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kykiske

Bronze

Re: Did I fail the MPRE?

Post by kykiske » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Actus Reus wrote:
kykiske wrote:Well it happened. I failed it for the required score in my jurisdiction.

I studied for it too--reviewed the BarBri video, did practice questions, and read over the entire outline. Do not know what happened.

People were telling me that only the dumbest of the dumb fail the MPRE.

Am I completely screwed out of becoming an attorney?

Yep. Forever. Until you pass it in February or whenever it's offered next. Nobody gives a shit. Just pass it and be more ethical.
Wouldn't employers and the state bar care? I mean, if it's such an easy test, and one fails it, doesn't that show that one is unethical/incompetent?

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:39 pm

kykiske wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:
kykiske wrote:Well it happened. I failed it for the required score in my jurisdiction.

I studied for it too--reviewed the BarBri video, did practice questions, and read over the entire outline. Do not know what happened.

Yep. Forever. Until you pass it in February or whenever it's offered next. Nobody gives a shit. Just pass it and be more ethical.
Wouldn't employers and the state bar care? I mean, if it's such an easy test, and one fails it, doesn't that show that one is unethical/incompetent?
my firm's offer letter expressly say that the offer is contingent on passing the MPRE and the Bar on the first attempts.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:41 pm

gnuwheels wrote:
kykiske wrote:
Actus Reus wrote:

my firm's offer letter expressly say that the offer is contingent on passing the MPRE and the Bar on the first attempts.

Under normal circumstances, I'd likely laugh at this, and pass it off as a joke.

But under my current state, I'm not entirely sure if you're being serious.

Sorry guys, just not exactly in a positive state.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:43 pm

kykiske wrote:Under normal circumstances, I'd likely laugh at this, and pass it off as a joke.

But under my current state, I'm not entirely sure if you're being serious.

Sorry guys, just not exactly in a positive state.
They're idiots. Nobody cares, take it again in February and pass. It's not even a requirement to pass the MPRE before sitting for the bar in most states.

FWIW, I have a friend who failed the first time and just passed this time around. It happens.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:45 pm

kykiske wrote: Wouldn't employers and the state bar care? I mean, if it's such an easy test, and one fails it, doesn't that show that one is unethical/incompetent?
Why would they care? Especially the state bar. They have a rule... you have to pass it before you can get licensed. Usually that rule is accompanied by a timeline of when you have to pass it by. The fact that there's a rule (and that it doesn't say "First time or you're fucked") implies that they don't care if you fail it a few times.

As far as the above poster, I'm gonna call Missouri on that. I could see an offer being contingent on passing the bar and the MBE, but I'm highly skeptical about an offer letter citing the MPRE.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KaNa1986

New

Post by KaNa1986 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:47 pm

You are unfit to be an attorney until you realize that lying to, cheating on, and stealing from clients is not ok. Also, having sex with a client is not ok (unless you had such a relationship before becoming the client's lawyer).

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks guys :)

I'm not feeling very hot right now. But your words have calmed me down.

I thought I was completely dead in the water.

History_Buff

Diamond

Post by History_Buff » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:25 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:94? I'll take it.
Same score as me. All I did was listen to the Barbri lecture and take two practice tests.

Also, I got two nosebleeds during the test administration and had to leave the room so I'm pretty relieved they didn't cancel my score.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:44 pm

So, would it be fair to say that my earlier freak about not passing the MPRE was unwarranted?

And, put frankly, I just need to sit down, review the BarBri outline better, and take more practice exams.

And after I pass the next MPRE--and I WILL pass this time--there are no long-term detriments to my chances of being admitted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:44 pm

kykiske wrote:So, would it be fair to say that my earlier freak about not passing the MPRE was unwarranted?

And, put frankly, I just need to sit down, review the BarBri outline better, and take more practice exams.

And after I pass the next MPRE--and I WILL pass this time--there are no long-term detriments to my chances of being admitted?
Yes and yes.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Pleasye wrote:
kykiske wrote:So, would it be fair to say that my earlier freak about not passing the MPRE was unwarranted?

Yes and yes.
Okay, thanks friend.

I guess I just don't know much about how the MPRE is viewed. I just took the position that because it's a requirement, and because of how it's perceived, that failing it once is seen as a substantial downside.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:08 pm

I also got a 94. I spent too much time on lectures and not enough time on practice questions. Practice questions help most.

Now for the bar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”