1L - Am I crazy? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jaded

New

1L - Am I crazy?

Post by Jaded » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:59 pm

I am currently enrolled at a 4th tier circus, taking 12 credits per term. Also working full time (40+ hours/week). I do have a full scholarship which is the only reason I am enrolled there. I am trying to get rid of remaining undergrad debt, hence my full time job.

Got a 3.13 gpa my first term (started in the summer). Not sure right now if I can handle staying pat with the load between work and classes. Trying to figure out if it is a good idea to:

a) transfer out. I will have 24 credits after this fall semester, but I don't know what kind of gpa i would need to make a jump to a school that has good enough employment prospects. (I know I need 30 to transfer and will have that after the spring) This is also considering the fact that I would have to take out loans I don't have right now.

b) quit work and study full time to focus on grades. However, employment prospects are ummmm extremely poor at current school, so I don't know if this is any benefit at all.

Any input or things I am not considering?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: 1L - Am I crazy?

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:05 pm

You do realize that your school is violating ABA regulations by allowing you to work more than 20 hours per week, right?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You do realize that your school is violating ABA regulations by allowing you to work more than 20 hours per week, right?
yea OP, forget all the bullshit about getting a job and your future and shit, you should report yourself for violating a dumb rule that no one cares about.

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Post by FutureSuperLawyer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Yes, you are not considering dropping out of law school With a 3.13 from a TTTT its extremely unlikely you'll be able to get a decent job as a lawyer or even a job better than the one you have now.

If you quit law school you can put your energies into your job and maybe move up. Even if you are Starbucks you may be able to move up to store manager. That will probably pay better than whatever you will get with a 3.1 from a TTTT.

Also, is your scholarship dependent on your academic performance? If so, you'll probably lose it (unless a 3.13 puts you high up in your class). Another reason to drop out.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Jaded wrote:I am currently enrolled at a 4th tier circus

Got a 3.13 gpa my first term
There are very few people here who will say anything other than "drop out." And it's possibly the best advice you're going to get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Jaded wrote:I am currently enrolled at a 4th tier circus, taking 12 credits per term. Also working full time (40+ hours/week). I do have a full scholarship which is the only reason I am enrolled there. I am trying to get rid of remaining undergrad debt, hence my full time job.

Got a 3.13 gpa my first term (started in the summer). Not sure right now if I can handle staying pat with the load between work and classes. Trying to figure out if it is a good idea to:

a) transfer out. I will have 24 credits after this fall semester, but I don't know what kind of gpa i would need to make a jump to a school that has good enough employment prospects. (I know I need 30 to transfer and will have that after the spring) This is also considering the fact that I would have to take out loans I don't have right now.

b) quit work and study full time to focus on grades. However, employment prospects are ummmm extremely poor at current school, so I don't know if this is any benefit at all.

Any input or things I am not considering?
I'll go against the grain. You're going to law school for free. You've already demonstrated you can get okayish grades and you can work full time while you're in school. If you dropped out of school, you'd just be working and have more free time. You already know you're not going to get a legal job from OCI, so don't even consider it. Don't even worry about your grades unless it affects your scholarship.

a) I wouldn't. Your school is so shitty that even if you ended up in the top 5% after 1L, the only schools you'd be able to transfer into are still not worth sticker (albeit two years of sticker). The 3.13 isn't going to do you any favors as it is.

b) DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB. Making a mistake in attending a T4 was bad, but don't double up on your mistake by also quitting your job.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You do realize that your school is violating ABA regulations by allowing you to work more than 20 hours per week, right?
At 12 hours per semester, I suspect OP is PT (or qualifies for it).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:12 am

How much growth potential is there in your current job? If it's a decent job you could see yourself moving up in, drop out and focus your energy on that.

If it's not, I guess keep doing what you're doing. At least you don't have debt. Start networking like crazy with local small firms. The only jobs that are going to be realistically open to you out of a TTTT are relationship based, not grades based. Don't stress your grades unless you're in danger of losing your scholarship.

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:06 pm

What is your class rank with a 3.13 GPA? I'd look at transferring, but I'll go against the grain a tiny bit and say that a free JD from a dogshit law schools isn't the worst decision you could ever make. Probably better to drop out, but it may turn out ok for you if you're willing to work for $40k a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”