Skip class to network? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Young Marino

Silver

Skip class to network?

Post by Young Marino » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:52 pm

There's an event going on in a few weeks that is suit and bow tie occasion through my mother's employer (she works at a small local based bank, second in command of said bank). This event is annual and mainly includes local attorneys and politicians. The problem is that it's during the week and starts at 5 and it's being held about two hours south of where I go to school for some reason so I would probably have to miss my later class on that day. I think this would be a great event to attend to network a little bit but is it worth skipping a class to do so? It's in mid October.

sundontshine

Bronze

Re: Skip class to network?

Post by sundontshine » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Skip it. Class isn't important, getting a job is.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 am

sundontshine wrote:Skip it. Class isn't important, getting a job is.
I agree. You need to start using your connections to set yourself up now. FWIW, I know quite a few people with middling grades, who got summer associate positions and later jobs because of their networking skills.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Yea. I mean I've said all along top ten percent would be nice but I'd rather get median and have a bunch of connections when I graduate. Especially since my goal is to work in government (prosecutor)

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:11 pm

YM as a prosecutor; that'd be good for the world

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”