1L Citation Question (Promise it would be easy) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
WestWingWatcher

Bronze

1L Citation Question (Promise it would be easy)

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:49 pm

I have two quick citation problems that I assume are super obvious and easy, but can't for the life of me find the answer in the Blue Book or a google search.

1. When comparing an actual case to the situation you have had hand,
IE

Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty.

Where should the citation go for Waterworks Co.? Should it go like this:

a) Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, id., Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty.

or like this:

b) Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty. Id.

2. When you are using a non-controlling court case in a string of citation clauses, how do you indicate that it is not controlling? Do you have to?

Thanks for whatever input/advice you may have!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: 1L Citation Question (Promise it would be easy)

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:08 pm

TLS doesn't do homework for you.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:14 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:I have two quick citation problems that I assume are super obvious and easy, but can't for the life of me find the answer in the Blue Book or a google search.

IE

Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty.

a) Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, id., Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty.

or like this:

b) Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty. Id.

2. When you are using a non-controlling court case in a string of citation clauses, how do you indicate that it is not controlling? Do you have to?

You used ie to mean for example. That's wrong.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:15 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:I have two quick citation problems that I assume are super obvious and easy, but can't for the life of me find the answer in the Blue Book or a google search.

IE

or like this:

Damn man... trying to violate the honor code on shit that isn't even graded?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Drop out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:13 pm

First Offense wrote:

IE

or like this:

Damn man... trying to violate the honor code on shit that isn't even graded?
Wait is this genuinely against the honor code? I just made up random hypothetical sentences...

and if it actually is, is it wrong to ask where in the Blue Book I can find the information?

p.s. I'm actually appalled by how hateful everyone's responses have been...

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Last edited by WestWingWatcher on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:19 pm

A lot of schools don't allow for outside help on LWR assignments, and 1L citation questions are usually related to LWR assignments.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Just ask one of your classmates for help. Or your TAs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:24 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
p.s. I'm actually appalled by how hateful everyone's responses have been...
lol

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:A lot of schools don't allow for outside help on LWR assignments, and 1L citation questions are usually related to LWR assignments.
Thanks for the explanation. It is in essence related to LRW because that is the only class I have to deal with the Blue Book, but it actually doesn't relate directly to any assignment. Point taken though, apparently everyone assumes you're trying to cheat, and even if you're not, it's going to seem like you are.

phillywc wrote:Just ask one of your classmates for help. Or your TAs.
Thanks, I've asked my friends, but they're just as lost as me. Any instruction we have gotten in regard to Blue Booking has been sparse at best.

but point taken.

Regardless, I will think twice before ever posting on here again, about anything.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 pm

bye

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:23 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:p.s. I'm actually appalled by how hateful everyone's responses have been...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:06 am

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:33 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:A lot of schools don't allow for outside help on LWR assignments, and 1L citation questions are usually related to LWR assignments.
Thanks for the explanation. It is in essence related to LRW because that is the only class I have to deal with the Blue Book, but it actually doesn't relate directly to any assignment. Point taken though, apparently everyone assumes you're trying to cheat, and even if you're not, it's going to seem like you are.

phillywc wrote:Just ask one of your classmates for help. Or your TAs.
Thanks, I've asked my friends, but they're just as lost as me. Any instruction we have gotten in regard to Blue Booking has been sparse at best.

but point taken.

Regardless, I will think twice before ever posting on here again, about anything.
LOL. It's not a homework club.

It's A Lion

Gold

Post by It's A Lion » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:59 pm

OP, you're not doing it right. Neither of your proposed answers is correct. And generally speaking, the court can determine whether a case is controlling based on the citation.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 am

It's A Lion wrote:OP, you're not doing it right. Neither of your proposed answers is correct. And generally speaking, the court can determine whether a case is controlling based on the citation.
Really? I'm a 2L but have always done it the way he did in 1b. Would love to know the correct way to do it...IIRC my legal writing person said it was somewhat up to style, but that it looks ugly and mucks things up to leave it in the middle of the sentence (which I agree).

Citations to declarations tend to go immediately following the clause. At least that's what I've learned.

For #2 yea, not necessary. A judge knows what circuit he's in lol

also, the posts above...... honor code wtf lmfao are yall serious?? go get laid or something smh

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

It's A Lion

Gold

Post by It's A Lion » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Man, people write articles on this stuff. See http://www.law.du.edu/documents/enrlp/D ... 202000.pdf.

wildcatatpenn

New

Post by wildcatatpenn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:23 pm

It's A Lion wrote:Man, people write articles on this stuff. See http://www.law.du.edu/documents/enrlp/D ... 202000.pdf.
HA I remember reading that one several times during 1L... I'm pretty sure 1b is the way to go. Not aware of any way better anyways without completely rewriting sentences

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

It's A Lion wrote:Man, people write articles on this stuff. See <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.law.du.edu/documents/enrlp/D ... </span></a>.
Wow. It's nice to know I learned something from my LRWA class. I actually thought OP was trolling.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:19 pm

1b is correct because you're citing the case for the proposition that one who unintentionally enters land is guilty of tresspass. That proposition holds true both for the facts of the cited case AND the facts of the underlying case - thus the citation applies to the whole sentence.

For example, I could write "Mr. Smith's unintentional entry onto his neighbor's land is nevertheless a punishable tresspass. A v. B, 1 N.W. 2 (Ct. 1999).". I'm citing A v B not for its specific facts but rather its general holding.

Note that you don't use see here because the case directly states the proposition.

But you wouldn't use id. there either as it isn't following a complete cite. You'd do this instead:

"Just as in Waterworks Co., where the defendant did not intentionally trespass but was found guilty, Mr. Neighbor did not intentionally step on the land of Ms. Smith, but will still be found guilty. 123 N.W. at 456."

You're welcome.

*Edited because I didn't read entire thread before posting, realize others already said what I said. Also other stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”