Which version of UCC do contracts professors test you? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NB2017

New

Which version of UCC do contracts professors test you?

Post by NB2017 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:44 pm

I am an incoming 1L students and was curious to know which version of UCC your law professors tested you on during your 1L contracts course? Are professors primarily testing you on the revised post-2003 version or are you still tested on settling contracts issues based on the previous version during exams?

Thanks.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Which version of UCC do contracts professors test you?

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:45 pm

i don't think anyone ever adopted the revised 2003 version. We were tested on Article 2 pre-revision

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:48 pm

what difference does it make? Pay attention in class, and figure out how the professor wants you to answer the questions.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:58 pm

guano wrote:what difference does it make? Pay attention in class, and figure out how the professor wants you to answer the questions.
This.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:29 am

The current one. Note, that actually means the pre-2003 version. 2003 was officially withdrawn by ALI.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NB2017

New

Post by NB2017 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:10 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:
guano wrote:what difference does it make? Pay attention in class, and figure out how the professor wants you to answer the questions.
This.
I don't understand why you would sign on to forum, read the question posed in the subject line of the post, and then decide to comment on it with some BS condescending answer like "just pay attention in class." Obviously I am asking because I care to know either for my own curiosity or for some other reason I deem important. Either way, why waste your time with an unhelpful answer and waste my time making me read it? In this case, I am reading the E&E series on contracts and the book covers settling contract disputes using both versions of UCC. If professors focus on teaching one version to the exclusion of the other, I would try and focus my time on a fuller understanding of that version as well.

To the other posters, thanks for the help.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Mr. 0L gunner - reading an E&E during the summer.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:51 pm

NB2017 wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:
This.
I don't understand why you would sign on to forum, read the question posed in the subject line of the post, and then decide to comment on it with some BS condescending answer like "just pay attention in class." Obviously I am asking because I care to know either for my own curiosity or for some other reason I deem important. Either way, why waste your time with an unhelpful answer and waste my time making me read it? In this case, I am reading the E&E series on contracts and the book covers settling contract disputes using both versions of UCC. If professors focus on teaching one version to the exclusion of the other, I would try and focus my time on a fuller understanding of that version as well.

I'd highly advise not doing any 0L prep. Do something productive, like hang out with friends or drink beer or something. You'll be in better shape come exam time than the 0L prepers.

My professor didn't really cover the UCC at all.

The best thing you can do is just pay attention in class once classes actually start, and then figure out how your prof wants you to answer the questions.

NB2017

New

Post by NB2017 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:52 pm

I generally agree. I am only reading the contracts EE at a leisurely place because I find contracts pretty interesting. But thanks for the tip.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 pm

BigZuck wrote: My professor didn't really cover the UCC at all.
For a different perspective (on what you might get in a prof, not on the value of 0L prep), about 1/3 of my exam came straight out of examples in UCC comments for the sections we had covered.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:18 pm

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm pre law, so I dont know for sure just read. But whenever we go over UCC in undergrad, its article 2. And from what I've researched its the same thing in law school.

Fuck the code man, I swear haha

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:31 pm

NB2017 wrote:

The reason for this response is because we have been on this forum long enough to know usually why people ask the questions they do. I also read the E&Es and did a lot of 0L prep. Some of it I thought was helpful but what I promise won't be helpful is memorizing whichever UCC version more kids on this forum say their teacher uses. Things like that are far too teacher specific hence the response. Your time is better used in other ways and that's all we are really saying. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:36 pm

choward014 wrote:I'm pre law, so I dont know for sure just read. But whenever we go over UCC in undergrad, its article 2. And from what I've researched its the same thing in law school.

Fuck the code man, I swear haha
Art. 2 is sales (really transactions) in goods, so that's what you do in contracts. Other articles come into play from time to time, including Secured Credit, which is a class almost entirely devoted to Art. 9, with some bankruptcy code and UFTA thrown in.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:41 pm

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Yeah, reading E&Es, especially in Contracts or Property, can actually be detrimental rather than just a net 0. My property class didn't cover RAP or a few other common subjects, my Ks class completely skipped Statute of Frauds and focused a lot on "UCC or R2d". Torts some classes focus a lot on R3d, some (like mine) ignore it completely. There's just too many variables, and it depends a lot on your professor.

It's A Lion

Gold

Post by It's A Lion » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am

NB2017 wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:
This.

guano offered good advice. It's entirely up to your professor.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:34 am

My professor did not teach to the UCC at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”