Narrowly missing graduating with Honors Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BVest

Platinum

Re: Narrowly missing graduating with Honors

Post by BVest » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:37 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:
Had this happen to me in a class in law school, asked if there was any way I could bump up the grade (it was an accounting class so I had like a 92.4 and needed a 92.5 to get the A and he basically told me tough shit.
If this actually happened, that sucks, but it sort of seems like trolling because you're missing the irony of asking your accounting professor to falsify numbers on your behalf.
The real irony is that no one has noticed that his anecdote about law school is about a class he took while presumably not in law school. (Unless he took an undergrad accounting class concurrently with law school, which is highly suspect)
There are Accounting for Lawyers classes at several schools (with the accompanying joke that there's no accounting for lawyers.) They tend to focus on corporate accounting so that the lawyer doesn't look like an idiot when speaking to corporate clients (and learning where the corp executives, CPAs, and lawyers will all be voicing different opinions on disclosure and why). Mine provided the most thorough, fair, and transparent grading I've seen in law school, but then -- even with the ambiguity and subjectivity that goes into corporate accounting -- it's about as objective a subject as you can have.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DorothyV

New

Post by DorothyV » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:39 pm

I had a similar thing happened to me.

I missed magna cum laude by what turned out to be 1/3 of a letter grade in one class. After all of the work that I put in during the past three years, it really sucked to miss it by such a slim margin. It honestly naughed at me for days (actually, more like weeks). If I had missed it by .05 instead , I doubt that I would have been as upset. Finally, I realized that there was nothing I could do about it. As others have said, there has to be a cut-off somewhere.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. There are plenty of successful attorneys who didn't graduate with honors from law school. Be proud of the fact that you did better than 74% of the people in your class.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 am

Did not know that. Don't think I've ever looked at the "A" section of the schedule of courses. Thanks for letting me know!

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 pm

BVest wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:
Had this happen to me in a class in law school, asked if there was any way I could bump up the grade (it was an accounting class so I had like a 92.4 and needed a 92.5 to get the A and he basically told me tough shit.
If this actually happened, that sucks, but it sort of seems like trolling because you're missing the irony of asking your accounting professor to falsify numbers on your behalf.
The real irony is that no one has noticed that his anecdote about law school is about a class he took while presumably not in law school. (Unless he took an undergrad accounting class concurrently with law school, which is highly suspect)
There are Accounting for Lawyers classes at several schools (with the accompanying joke that there's no accounting for lawyers.) They tend to focus on corporate accounting so that the lawyer doesn't look like an idiot when speaking to corporate clients (and learning where the corp executives, CPAs, and lawyers will all be voicing different opinions on disclosure and why). Mine provided the most thorough, fair, and transparent grading I've seen in law school, but then -- even with the ambiguity and subjectivity that goes into corporate accounting -- it's about as objective a subject as you can have.
i actually did take it in law school, it was accounting for lawyers. i was so pissed, because he had also graded an exam question wrong on our first test (def. not run like a law school class) and I went to him about it and he wouldnt give that to me either. I still think he sucks but whatever who cares, the point was I got over it like OP should

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”