lunch with a partner of a big law firm Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ValerOn1820

Bronze

lunch with a partner of a big law firm

Post by ValerOn1820 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:38 pm

HI, guys:

Just wanted to have an advice from your experience about meetings of such type. I am currently a 2L. As a result of some surprising circumstances, the partner of law firm invited me for a lunch. The context is not a job employment, and I was not seeking an internship.

What are the best topics to talk about; how to be "interesting" considering his 30 year experience in a legal area and mine as a just-finished-1st-year.

everything that could be helpful to have a good pleasant time...

thanx!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: lunch with a partner of a big law firm

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 pm

How he ended up in his practice area. What his typical day/week/year is like. Cases/clients that have stood out in his memory (with a caveat that you know most stuff is confidential and he probably can't get into specifics, so you don't look like an idiot). Find out if he's involved in the recruiting process at his firm--if he's not, then don't ask too many specific questions about it. If he is, then what kind of things he looks for in a summer associate/things that have impressed him/things that have given him a negative opinion, both in the application/interview process and at work during the summer. What kind of work he personally has assigned to summers/young associates. How summers/young associates are mentored and trained.

Mr. Pink

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pink » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Wear a sombrero and shorts with dark socks pulled all the way up. This will ensure that he remembers you after the lunch.

ValerOn1820

Bronze

Post by ValerOn1820 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Mr. Pink wrote:Wear a sombrero and shorts with dark socks pulled all the way up. This will ensure that he remembers you after the lunch.
ahah Of course, the purpose is not to be just remembered, but to have an interesting conversation. Though, I will consider your advice:) thanx

ValerOn1820

Bronze

Post by ValerOn1820 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How he ended up in his practice area. What his typical day/week/year is like. Cases/clients that have stood out in his memory (with a caveat that you know most stuff is confidential and he probably can't get into specifics, so you don't look like an idiot). Find out if he's involved in the recruiting process at his firm--if he's not, then don't ask too many specific questions about it. If he is, then what kind of things he looks for in a summer associate/things that have impressed him/things that have given him a negative opinion, both in the application/interview process and at work during the summer. What kind of work he personally has assigned to summers/young associates. How summers/young associates are mentored and trained.
Thanks a lot for a very substantive approach to helping me :wink: It is very helpful and gives ideas to think about!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Also, have a good story about yourself, who you are and your background that you can explain why you want law, what your goals might be. He is going to ask you about yourself.
I would also do some background research on the firm, the cases they are handling or any issues that might be relevant.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 pm

I agree with what others have said so far. Definitely look him up on the firm website and get a sense of the work he does. If he does something specialized that you know virtually nothing about, you might want to do a little background reading about how that area of law works and what sort of issues are trending. So, for example, if he does patent law, you might at least try to get a rudimentary sense of what patent law is all about, and you might keep in your pocket some interest recent news to ask him about (e.g. Elon Musk's release of his patents). Likewise, if he does international commercial arbitration or something, you should at least have a basic sense of how that works so that you can ask slightly informed questions.

Ultimately, talking with a law firm partner is like talking with anybody else. Just be normal and try to get a sense of what he enjoys talking about, and focus on that. Good luck. It's a cool opportunity to get to have 1-on-1 lunch with a partner.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:12 am

One thing I would add is see if he has interests in things other than the law.

Sports, movies, music, etc. You guys are having lunch together, talk about something exciting for both of you.

You'll find yourself much more at ease and relaxed that way.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:One thing I would add is see if he has interests in things other than the law.

Sports, movies, music, etc. You guys are having lunch together, talk about something exciting for both of you.

You'll find yourself much more at ease and relaxed that way.
Ehhhh
It's fine to chat about sports or whatever if it naturally flows from the conversation, or if the partner brings it up. But he could be billing someone hundreds of dollars for this time; he's not there for OP to grill him about his favorite movies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawman4

New

Post by lawman4 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:55 am

I am going to be sharing a fantasy football team with one of the partner's at the big law firm I'm interning at. We had lunch, I did a full research on him the night before. I knew what law school he went to, his background, etc. I would bring up questions like "so I saw that you use to be part of ..., that seems interesting... how was it?" or "i read a article you published, and what caught my attention was....." After that and before you knew it, we were talking about sports, women, and his party days.

Bullshit your way to the top. Make people like you. Some attorneys like book smart interns and others like interns they can bullshit with. Choose your battles wisely, lol.

Miznitic

Bronze

Post by Miznitic » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Research the partner. Look for cases he's been involved in. Find something interesting about him and relate it to yourself. Remember, all interactions with partners relates in some way to employment. Thinking otherwise results in unemployment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”