Booked Class, Put it on Resume? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Tarbeezy

New

Booked Class, Put it on Resume?

Post by Tarbeezy » Fri May 30, 2014 8:30 pm

I have booked(highest grade in class) two of my classes this past semester, but my school does not have CALI Awards nor the equivalent. Should I still add this fact to my resume?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: Booked Class, Put it on Resume?

Post by WhiteyCakes » Fri May 30, 2014 8:40 pm

Tarbeezy wrote:I have booked(highest grade in class) two of my classes this past semester, but my school does not have CALI Awards nor the equivalent. Should I still add this fact to my resume?
LOL no. Presumably employers will see your transcript anyway, and putting it on your resume not only makes you look like a douche, but also probably makes you look like you have nothing substantive to put on your transcript in its place.

aladdinismyprince

New

Post by aladdinismyprince » Fri May 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I respectfully disagree with WhiteyCakes. I put all the classes I book on my resume. Tons of professors and career advisers have seen my resume (with the booked classes), and not a single one has told me to take it off.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri May 30, 2014 10:14 pm

just make sure you explain what booked is in parenthesis because not all the older recruiters know it means

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Fri May 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Booking a class is a big accomplishment and you should highlight it. Just a bullet stating awarded honors for highest course grade (or some equivalent) is fine. Honestly, the LS culture of never speaking of one's accomplishments or successes is exhausting. You did something no one else in your class did. The market is tough. Put it on your resume!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat May 31, 2014 3:54 am

skw wrote:Booking a class is a big accomplishment and you should highlight it. Just a bullet stating awarded honors for highest course grade (or some equivalent) is fine.
But if the school has no award for it (see OP), what is there to put?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Sat May 31, 2014 10:36 am

BVest wrote:
skw wrote:Booking a class is a big accomplishment and you should highlight it. Just a bullet stating awarded honors for highest course grade (or some equivalent) is fine.
But if the school has no award for it (see OP), what is there to put?
Contracts -- Awarded highest grade
Torts-- Awarded highest grade

Put that under an accomplishments or awards section for the LS portion of your education section.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat May 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Without an actual recognition, I wouldn't do it. [not theoretical]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:07 pm

I'd say only if it's an actual award or notation in the transcript. My school called it the jurisprudence award, and yeah you put that on a resume. I think I got a certificate for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Definitely put it on your resume.

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Contracts -- Awarded highest grade
Torts-- Awarded highest grade

Put that under an accomplishments or awards section for the LS portion of your education section.
Do this. There is absolutely no downside to highlighting accomplishments like this. Just because your school doesn't formally give out an award doesn't make it any less impressive.

Mr.Throwback

Bronze

Post by Mr.Throwback » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 pm

I received two A+'s this past semester but i'm not sure if it's the highest grade in my class. Does this still go on my resume? How do I know if I "booked" the class?

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Post by Frothingslosh » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Mr.Throwback wrote:I received two A+'s this past semester but i'm not sure if it's the highest grade in my class. Does this still go on my resume? How do I know if I "booked" the class?
Wait for your school to publish its grade distributions or ask your professor(s) when you go over your exam with them. Don't put anything on your resume if you can't verify it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mr.Throwback

Bronze

Post by Mr.Throwback » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:31 pm

By grade distributions do you mean ranking? The rankings are out.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Tarbeezy wrote:I have booked(highest grade in class) two of my classes this past semester, but my school does not have CALI Awards nor the equivalent. Should I still add this fact to my resume?
How do you know you got the highest grade in the class? Because you got an A+ and someone told you that the professor only gives out a single A+? Because the professor let you know in an email? Because your professor published the score range for your final exam and you found that your score was at the top of the range?

I ask these questions because I do think it's a little dangerous to represent that you got the "highest grade in the class" when your school does not recognize such a distinction. If you found out you got the highest grade in a class via an email from the professor, then I would ask the professor to write you a letter of rec that you could attach to your application materials. (The professor would surely mention your grade in his or her recommendation.) But if you "figured out" you got the highest grade in the class through some deduction based on your understanding of how grading works, then I would think twice before listing a self-calculated distinction on your resume.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”