1L Second Semester: Burn out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
doctoroflaw91

Bronze

1L Second Semester: Burn out

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:06 am

Am I the only one that feels incredibly burned out at this point in second semester of 1L year? I recall the school reminding us at the beginning of the semester that everyone would step up their game this semester, but it seems as though it is quite the opposite scenario: Low class attendance, most people behind on readings, etc.

What has been/was your experience at your school?

lawhopeful10

Silver

Re: 1L Second Semester: Burn out

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:17 am

Similar experience at my school but you only do 1L once. Keep your foot on the gas for a little longer and finish strong.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:40 am

Library has been quiet on the weekends compared to Fall semester. Almost deserted lately.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 am

A lot of friends are giving up. I'm trying to keep them motivated. Then again, I myself am not very motivated. But that's normal for me; I usually pull it together in the end.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:09 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:A lot of friends are giving up. I'm trying to keep them motivated. Then again, I myself am not very motivated. But that's normal for me; I usually pull it together in the end.
Yep

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:12 am

The mistake was gunning during the beginning of the semester. Stop and take the next two weeks off. Get drunk, fuck a pretty girl, then start gunning two weeks before finals start.

Trying to go 100% all semester is retarded. There isn't that much content.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 am

If you're really feeling that burned out, take some time off. If you take 2-3 days off and do nothing school-related, that should help recharge the batteries enough for a final push.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 am

thegrayman wrote:If you're really feeling that burned out, take some time off. If you take 2-3 days off and do nothing school-related, that should help recharge the batteries enough for a final push.

I'm thinking this is probably a good idea...have a brief due on Friday, but the weekend might be a good time to lay low, given that my reading and outlines are done.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The mistake was gunning during the beginning of the semester. Stop and take the next two weeks off. Get drunk, fuck a pretty girl, then start gunning two weeks before finals start.

I learned this from 1L semester. Got a lot of gaming done early on - ready for the stretch run now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The mistake was gunning during the beginning of the semester1L. Stop and take the next two weeks few months off. Get drunkblacked out, fuck a pretty girlfat chick, then start gunningreading two weeks before finals start.

Trying to go 100% all semesterafter OCI is retarded. There isn't that much content.
Now this advice is applicable for 2L year as well.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:36 pm

atcushman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The mistake was gunning during the beginning of the semester1L. Stop and take the next two weeks few months off. Get drunkblacked out, fuck a pretty girlfat chick, then start gunningreading two weeks before finals start.

Trying to go 100% all semesterafter OCI is retarded. There isn't that much content.
Now this advice is applicable for 2L year as well.
Reading? As a 2L?

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:The mistake was gunning during the beginning of the semester. Stop and take the next two weeks off. Get drunk, fuck a pretty girl, then start gunning two weeks before finals start.

This is why Feb Club makes UVA the best law school :lol: Haven't reached peak fitness yet, but just startin' to hit my stride

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 am

2ls and 3ls,

Was 1L second semester more competitive?
Like OP said, more people seem to be burnt out and less people are paying attention in class, etc.
However, there are a select few who are pushing harder.

How does that balance out? I'm worried about my grades dipping this semester

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 am

iliketurtles123 wrote:2ls and 3ls,

Was 1L second semester more competitive?
Like OP said, more people seem to be burnt out and less people are paying attention in class, etc.
However, there are a select few who are pushing harder.

How does that balance out? I'm worried about my grades dipping this semester
Be those selective few and u'll be fine.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Jchance wrote:Be those selective few and u'll be fine.
Lol you sadistic bastard. To the OP, chill. Class participation doesn't mean anything, really. You don't have to gun and stress yourself out with how many hours you are putting in compared to everyone else. Don't run their race, run yours. Put your head down and do what you need to do, but remember that if you aren't sleeping, eating well, and working out, it's all for shit. You've been through it before now. Get some outlines. Mash them together with your notes (and?) own outline if you are a true gunner. Practice essays or w/e format your final is, talk to 2L's/3L's who have had your prof, and don't give a fuck what other people are doing. The worst thing to do is prepare in a way that works for other people and not yourself, just because that's what you see others doing.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:12 am

doctoroflaw91 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:If you're really feeling that burned out, take some time off. If you take 2-3 days off and do nothing school-related, that should help recharge the batteries enough for a final push.

I'm thinking this is probably a good idea...have a brief due on Friday, but the weekend might be a good time to lay low, given that my reading and outlines are done.
:shock: Yeah, you're good. Take a few days off.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:41 am

doctoroflaw91 wrote:

And now I feel like a slacker

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLSaul2001

New

Post by TLSaul2001 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote: How does that balance out? I'm worried about my grades dipping this semester
I can only speak for my experience, but I'm at a TTT and my GPA dropped .01 from 1st to second semester. My effort was definitely not at the same level as first semester, but once I knew I was in the % needed for my scholarship the care cup got real empty, real fast. I wouldn't worry about your ranking slipping if you put the same effort as last semester in and there's definitely more opportunity to improve upon it by taking advantage of people like me.
Last edited by TLSaul2001 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 pm

get back to work.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm more pumped than ever! Slacking off first 2/3 of the semester was definitely TCR to prevent burn out :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”