How important are CALI awards? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Connor Benz

Bronze

How important are CALI awards?

Post by Connor Benz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm

So my roommate kept talking about it ALL FUCKING NIGHT literally. I'm wondering how important are these things and do they even show up on your transcript? I mean is it really a big deal that you got the highest grade in the class? What if you bombed your other classes? Your highest grade can be a point or two off from the second, i don't think that is really something to brag about.

Also, does it even mean that you know the subject matter best? I know cats who can spit out the ROL cold, but just have a hard time writing it out. Do employers even care about these awards?

The point is my roommate's behavior excusable or is he a douchebag?

nebula666

Silver

Re: How important are CALI awards?

Post by nebula666 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Connor Benz wrote:So my roommate kept talking about it ALL FUCKING NIGHT literally. I'm wondering how important are these things and do they even show up on your transcript? I mean is it really a big deal that you got the highest grade in the class? What if you bombed your other classes? Your highest grade can be a point or two off from the second, i don't think that is really something to brag about.

Also, does it even mean that you know the subject matter best? I know cats who can spit out the ROL cold, but just have a hard time writing it out. Do employers even care about these awards?

The point is my roommate's behavior excusable or is he a douchebag?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:03 pm

It's not going to make or break an application to a job, but it is at least bullet point on a resume worthy achievement.

As to your roommate, he might be overreacting. But, just let him/her have their moment. 8)

Connor Benz

Bronze

Post by Connor Benz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:It's not going to make or break an application to a job, but it is at least bullet point on a resume worthy achievement.

As to your roommate, he might be overreacting. But, just let him/her have their moment. 8)
Hahaha, he wasn't on it. He was upset because he wasn't on it. I told him to chill, because he has a chance this spring, but he wasn't hearing it.

jumpin munkey

New

Post by jumpin munkey » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 am

They're always at least a bit impressive because most students won't have them. On the other hand, since *someone* has to win a CALI award for each class no matter what, it's not like averaging a triple-double or something. All in all, it's hard to imagine it being much different than a standard A for most purposes (unless it's an A+ and matters for your GPA or something).

Although, as I think vanwinkle said awhile back, where they really look impressive is when someone gets multiple CALIs or their equivalents. This guy is clerking for Roberts next year and (scroll down to his law school section) that type of thing is a serious wow-er. (Though I'm guessing he won't have people parsing his resume much going forward.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:06 am

What is a CALI award?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:What is a CALI award?
:lol:, this kind of shows how important they are.

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 am

The school I transferred from didn't have CALI awards.. they had "Best Paper" or "High Paper" awards. On another note, apparently if you get a CALI award you get invited to their super special LinkedIn group. So fancy :roll: .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”