Which Bar has the easiest Character and Fitness requirements Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
john1990

Silver

Which Bar has the easiest Character and Fitness requirements

Post by john1990 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:02 pm

I would like to focus in the Northeast, ranging from Virginia to Maine.

Are there any states with lesser requirements for their character and fitness screening? I know that California right now does not like to accept students with marijuana convictions. But, are there some very tolerant states? I know that the bar in Massachusetts prevents law schools from requesting information on students criminal record aside from misdemeanors and felonies which have occurred in the last 5 years. Is this any indication of the bar's approach to character and fitness? I know that most schools in other states request information on all violations, which makes schools in Massachusetts easier to get into for those with otherwise poor character and fitness. But, is the MA bar similar in accepting more applicants with character and fitness problems? Is MA easier than NY?

tldr: which state bar's in the northeast are easier to be eligible for, for those with character and fitness problems

ph14

Gold

Re: Which Bar has the easiest Character and Fitness requirements

Post by ph14 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 pm

john1990 wrote:I would like to focus in the Northeast, ranging from Virginia to Maine.

Are there any states with lesser requirements for their character and fitness screening? I know that California right now does not like to accept students with marijuana convictions. But, are there some very tolerant states? I know that the bar in Massachusetts prevents law schools from requesting information on students criminal record aside from misdemeanors and felonies which have occurred in the last 5 years. Is this any indication of the bar's approach to character and fitness? I know that most schools in other states request information on all violations, which makes schools in Massachusetts easier to get into for those with otherwise poor character and fitness. But, is the MA bar similar in accepting more applicants with character and fitness problems? Is MA easier than NY?

tldr: which state bar's in the northeast are easier to be eligible for, for those with character and fitness problems
What?

lawdawg09

New

Post by lawdawg09 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm

john1990 wrote:I know that California right now does not like to accept students with marijuana convictions.
This is not necessarily true. My roommate and my fellow post bar clerk both got busted for pot and cleared CA moral character faster that I did (I have a clean record).

I went to law school with a lot of stoners and I have not heard one story about anyone having a problem re: marijuana and C&F.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 pm

lawdawg09 wrote:
john1990 wrote:I know that California right now does not like to accept students with marijuana convictions.
This is not necessarily true. My roommate and my fellow post bar clerk both got busted for pot and cleared CA moral character faster that I did (I have a clean record).

I went to law school with a lot of stoners and I have not heard one story about anyone having a problem re: marijuana and C&F.
The only C&F issue with pot, like most things, is lying about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”