Any success stories on increasing performance 2d 1L semester Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
1l2016

New

Any success stories on increasing performance 2d 1L semester

Post by 1l2016 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Kind of general, but any tips on what helped you increase your grades from 1st to 2nd semester? I did well 1st semester top ~30% but I was pretty disappointed since i though I was going to do better. Trying to motivate myself to turn some of those B+'s into A-'s and hearing some success stories would be helpful :D

bdm261

Bronze

Re: Any success stories on increasing performance 2d 1L semester

Post by bdm261 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm finding this semester is split into a few gradable assignments instead of being based 100% on exam performance. For instance, in CivPro we have mock litigation which amounts to 50% of your grade and as long as you follow the rules, you can earn full credit. Property this semester also has a few small assignments thrown in such as a landlord-tenant exercise with a mock client; so I think overall most students will do better this semester just based upon that.

michaelbluth

New

Post by michaelbluth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 pm

First semester 1L GPA was 3.716 (14 credits), second semester 1L GPA was 4.062 (16 credits) for a cumulative 3.9.

What I did differently second semester was...

-Started outlining earlier
-Read canned briefs (which isn't to say I didn't read the casebook at all, just that I didn't read as closely)
-Got legal writing stuff out of the way earlier so it wasn't hanging over my head
-Stopped worrying what other people were doing or wasting time trying their methods
-Slept more, and more consistently
-Stressed less
-Did more CALI lessons throughout the semester
-Took more practice exams
-Talked through more practice exams
-Spent the reading week and time between exams taking practice exams and rewriting my outlines to make them shorter. (I write really long outlines. I study by condensing them so they're at most half as long as the original, ideally about a quarter as long as the original.)
-Took time during the study period to explain stuff I understood to my classmates - teaching someone else is the best way to expose holes in my own knowledge.
-Read novels for pleasure the night before each exam
-Drank more after each exam let out

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 pm

michaelbluth wrote:First semester 1L GPA was 3.716 (14 credits), second semester 1L GPA was 4.062 (16 credits) for a cumulative 3.9.

What I did differently second semester was...

-Started outlining earlier
-Read canned briefs (which isn't to say I didn't read the casebook at all, just that I didn't read as closely)
-Got legal writing stuff out of the way earlier so it wasn't hanging over my head
-Stopped worrying what other people were doing or wasting time trying their methods
-Slept more, and more consistently
-Stressed less
-Did more CALI lessons throughout the semester
-Took more practice exams
-Talked through more practice exams
-Spent the reading week and time between exams taking practice exams and rewriting my outlines to make them shorter. (I write really long outlines. I study by condensing them so they're at most half as long as the original, ideally about a quarter as long as the original.)
-Took time during the study period to explain stuff I understood to my classmates - teaching someone else is the best way to expose holes in my own knowledge.
-Read novels for pleasure the night before each exam
-Drank more after each exam let out
+1 to everything.

The only thing I'd add is that I stopped typing up case briefs. I instead opted to create case charts for every class, and added to the chart throughout the semester.

Yeah, I probably didn't do as well on cold-calls, but I didn't bomb them. Also, having a cumulative case chart with all the facts and BLL centralized and organized according to the topic really helped me make my shorter attack outlines.

Just my two.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Went from straight B+s to straight A-s and one A. Just put more time in. And figure out what kind of exam answers your profs want well before the exam. When a prof goes over a casebook hypo and says "this would be a practice question" write out an answer and make them read it so you can get feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”