Considering delaying taking the Bar Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Crash32

New

Considering delaying taking the Bar

Post by Crash32 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 am

OK, I know this isn't ideal, but I have had a number of C&F issues come up during my bar application that has me very afraid that I might be denied the ability to sit for the bar. Mostly unpaid speeding tickets, old bad debts (that are fully paid), and (most importantly) unpaid taxes on my car from when I was in LS. I am getting everything cleared up, but, because a couple of the issues have happened while in LS, its difficult to argue that I am rehabilitated. I am thinking about delaying taking the bar (until Feb or next July) and use that time to show that I understand that I was wrong and that I am taking steps to rehabilitate myself. I am simply terrified of being denied on C&F grounds and not permitted to sit for a number of years.

Also, I want to be clear that I am not trying to cover anything up. I plan on having a full "Come to Jesus" moment with the Bar Examiners and lay out fully and honestly everything that I have done.

Any thoughts on this?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Considering delaying taking the Bar

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 am

I would wait until you have everything cleared up before sitting.

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:37 am

Sounds like a prudent approach... Continue to take all the necessary steps you need to and you'll put yourself in a good situation for success

Crash32

New

Post by Crash32 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 am

kalvano wrote:I would wait until you have everything cleared up before sitting.
What if I can have everything cleared up before I need to submit my application in March? Its entirely doable, I am more interested in giving sometime to show rehabilitation.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Crash32 wrote:
What if I can have everything cleared up before I need to submit my application in March? Its entirely doable, I am more interested in giving sometime to show rehabilitation.
If everything can be cleared up and you can be C&F approved by application time, then go for it. If not, I'd wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Crash32 wrote:
You shouldn't be asking for advice on TLS. Talk to a lawyer who has experience in C&F stuff.

lawdawg09

New

Post by lawdawg09 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:12 pm

One thing to consider - the closer you are to law school, the easier it is to take the bar.

Why couldn't you take it and deal with the C&F stuff later. Once you got cleared all you would have to do is get sworn in?

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 pm

I wouldn't delay taking it over unpaid speeding tickets, old bad debts, and unpaid taxes.

All three of these items revolves around a lack of funding. Discuss on your C&F application how these three were tied to a lack of funding, and but for my lack of funding I would have paid these on time and in order. Discuss how you have since paid them as soon as the requisite funds become available, or in the process of working on it.

The person reviewing your C&F is a human being, and was once a poor law student just like you. They also know how much speeding tickets suck, as do taxes and paying bills. Stuff like this pragmatically shouldn't keep you from sitting.

Just my thoughts though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”