Citing & Creating Table of Authorities ProTp anyone? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Raiden

Bronze

Citing & Creating Table of Authorities ProTp anyone?

Post by Raiden » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:49 am

So I completed a brief and now need to compile a table of authorities collecting all the cites and organizing according to the page numbers where they appear. Rather than utilizing a brute force method, I'd like to collect from the brilliant energies of the interlaced minds of the internets to be shared with the posterity. So any ideas of how to do this a bit more efficiently?

Please and thank you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Citing & Creating Table of Authorities ProTp anyone?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Raiden wrote:So I completed a brief and now need to compile a table of authorities collecting all the cites and organizing according to the page numbers where they appear. Rather than utilizing a brute force method, I'd like to collect from the brilliant energies of the interlaced minds of the internets to be shared with the posterity. So any ideas of how to do this a bit more efficiently?

Please and thank you.
MS Word does have a way to do this automatically - I think it's basically doing a table of contents. I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head, but if you google table of contents word you should get the relevant instructions. (My LWR prof actually gave us directions about this, so maybe hit up yours?)

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Not a pro, but since more seasoned people don't seem to be replying, what worked for me was:

Find first citation. Select the text as you want it to appear in your table of authorities. Press Alt-Shift-I. Enter text for what short form you want it to search for. Click mark all. On to the next citation, etc.

When you have them all marked, choose where you'd like to insert the table, go to references and click insert table of authorities.

I think it's a lot easier if you do this as you go along, but I didn't.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:37 am

I'll PM you quick but unsophisticated guides to creating a table of authorities and a table of contents. They're going to be missing images but should get the job done.
Last edited by ph14 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 am

Raiden wrote:So I completed a brief and now need to compile a table of authorities collecting all the cites and organizing according to the page numbers where they appear. Rather than utilizing a brute force method, I'd like to collect from the brilliant energies of the interlaced minds of the internets to be shared with the posterity. So any ideas of how to do this a bit more efficiently?

Please and thank you.

There is a really, really poorly written Lexis Macro that will do it for you automatically, it will even correct cites for blue book and content, as well as do short cites automatically. Just Google "Lexis for MS Office" or something.

The only catch, you need to login and they deactivate it for first year law students only

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 am

SemperLegal wrote:

Please and thank you.

There is a really, really poorly written Lexis Macro that will do it for you automatically, it will even correct cites for blue book and content, as well as do short cites automatically. Just Google "Lexis for MS Office" or something.

The only catch, you need to login and they deactivate it for first year law students only
I remember that. For me at least, it was just easier to do it myself.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

Lol.

Yeah, needlessly petty. Luckily, I had a login from an old job that was cool with me using it.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:20 pm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 26500.aspx

The key to remember is when it asks you for the "short cite," make sure you enter a word / number / whatever that appears in every single citation.

So like, you have Braggerdy v. Jones, 124 U.S. 125 (1995). Or you have a statute, 18 U.S.C. 2235. And later you short cite them like Braggerdy, 124 U.S. at 127 or Sec. 2235 (I can't do section symbols here.)

Anyway, your short cite for the things will be Braggerdy or 2235 only. Then it will find each mention of those words, tag them as a cite, and when you create your table it will list each page they appear on. It's easy once you do it a little.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”