Law Review Pros and Cons Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lizzyizzyizzy

New

Law Review Pros and Cons

Post by lizzyizzyizzy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of law review. I accepted an early invitation after my first semester, and am starting to regret the decision. I'm only three weeks in and am already extremely overwhelmed. I know that's somewhat normal and law review is very demanding, but I'm curious as to other people's experiences with joining a journal. My thesis is due next week and I'm debating jumping ship before I get in too deep. I realize this sounds like a bratty, whiny post and I should be grateful for the invitation, but I'm just trying to be realistic with what I can handle. I'm also taking 4 classes (crim pro, civ pro, evidence, and scholarly legal writing) and TA-ing for criminal law. Any input would be much appreciated!

DportIA

Bronze

Re: Law Review Pros and Cons

Post by DportIA » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 pm

lizzyizzyizzy wrote:I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of law review. I accepted an early invitation after my first semester, and am starting to regret the decision. I'm only three weeks in and am already extremely overwhelmed. I know that's somewhat normal and law review is very demanding, but I'm curious as to other people's experiences with joining a journal. My thesis is due next week and I'm debating jumping ship before I get in too deep. I realize this sounds like a bratty, whiny post and I should be grateful for the invitation, but I'm just trying to be realistic with what I can handle. I'm also taking 4 classes (crim pro, civ pro, evidence, and scholarly legal writing) and TA-ing for criminal law. Any input would be much appreciated!
[Some] employers [may] value it for 2L fall recruiting. If it is going to seriously affect your grades, though, it is definitely not worth it, because firms still require the grades, and then LR is icing on the cake.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:37 pm

can you join law review after 1L year (like normal) so that its at least on your resume going into oci?

lizzyizzyizzy

New

Post by lizzyizzyizzy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 pm

AlanShore wrote:can you join law review after 1L year (like normal) so that its at least on your resume going into oci?
I am in my first semester of 2L. My school has spring start, so I was invited after that, did source checking last semester, and am now writing my note.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

seriously, suck it up and do it. its not really that bad, do the minimum, and keep it on the resume. tough economy to start ceding away advantages.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Honestly, if you had never started that would be one thing…but quitting does not look good. I've never heard my employer (gov't agency) discuss whether people are or are not on law review, but last year they asked us if we knew any of the people that were interviewing for this year - a classmate mentioned that they knew person X bc they had been on law review w/them, but the person had quit law review bc of workload issues.

Dude, my boss crossed the guy's name off right there. Did not even interview.

I would not quit now.

lizzyizzyizzy

New

Post by lizzyizzyizzy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm

sidhesadie wrote:Honestly, if you had never started that would be one thing…but quitting does not look good. I've never heard my employer (gov't agency) discuss whether people are or are not on law review, but last year they asked us if we knew any of the people that were interviewing for this year - a classmate mentioned that they knew person X bc they had been on law review w/them, but the person had quit law review bc of workload issues.

I would not quit now.
I know right?! I wish I would have just declined from the beginning. I want to quit, but my pride is preventing me. And common sense that it will be good in the long run. Blah.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:07 pm

stillwater wrote:seriously, suck it up and do it. its not really that bad, do the minimum, and keep it on the resume. tough economy to start ceding away advantages.
Agreed. Plus, if you have grade-on grades (heh, that sounds silly) and aren't on law review, you're either going to look extremely lazy to employers or, depending on whether grade-ons have to meet a good faith effort requirement on the write-on competition at your school, like you failed the write-on.

It really isn't that much work. Just don't take on an editor position and don't gun for publication.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm

lizzyizzyizzy wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:Honestly, if you had never started that would be one thing…but quitting does not look good. I've never heard my employer (gov't agency) discuss whether people are or are not on law review, but last year they asked us if we knew any of the people that were interviewing for this year - a classmate mentioned that they knew person X bc they had been on law review w/them, but the person had quit law review bc of workload issues.

I would not quit now.
I know right?! I wish I would have just declined from the beginning. I want to quit, but my pride is preventing me. And common sense that it will be good in the long run. Blah.
Most LR works happen early on the semester, so some all nighters will get it done without affecting grades (only finals count really).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:42 pm

It is only overwhelming the first month. Once you get comfy it is not that hard.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Law review is fun. Most importantly, you meet so many great people. Not only current students, but also alumni. These people often will try to do what they can for the students. My journal has alumni that hire exclusively from our journal.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Youre right, you are being whiny and bratty, and i should add lazy. Jesus, you made law review, probably the single highest and most universally recognized accomplishment one can achieve in law school. The entire point of law school is to make yourself employable, and having Law Review on your resume is the best fucking thing you can have other than good grades. "Waahhhh, but i actually have to work hard. *stomps feet like petulant child*" Sack up.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:15 pm

I felt like this at some point or another about my first college class, my first FT summer internship, my first postgrad job, my first law school class, my competitive fall moot court, on the way to my first round of legal interviews, ect. It's a hump like any other. Push through and you'll make it.

Maybe drop something more tangential if you feel overwhelmed, but not the central shit.

objecion

New

Post by objecion » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am

Most of it was drudgery but there were memorable moments too. Plus, LR adds a nice touch to your personal firm bio.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”