. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sadday

New

Post by sadday » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Last edited by sadday on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: I don't understand

Post by rpupkin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:37 pm

sadday wrote:One class I did virtually nothing, crammed a few days before, got an A.
Another class I did all the things good law students do. B.
...I just don't get it. T30ish
There's your problem. This kind of thing doesn't happen at a T14.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:37 pm

sadday wrote:One class I did virtually nothing, crammed a few days before, got an A.
Law School Grades Are Random

HTH

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:46 pm

HTH.

sadday

New

Post by sadday » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Except for the guy who posted tonight about getting an A+ and then two Bs at a T-10

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Seems the grades are really arbitrary. I bet there isn't much difference from an exam that got a B and an A, in regard to the answers.

But someone has to get a B, only a few A positions are available.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:59 pm

grades aren't really arbitrary. its just a convenient excuse. the perceived arbitrariness is what your professor values and is specifically looking for on the exam.

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 pm

stillwater wrote:grades aren't really arbitrary. its just a convenient excuse. the perceived arbitrariness is what your professor values and is specifically looking for on the exam.

I'll agree with that. I wasn't creating an excuse, I don't need one. However, I was noting the "perceived" arbitrariness of LS exams.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:14 am

rpupkin wrote:
uhh yes it does.

This is also just the nature of the curve. Maybe everyone else in the first class really screwed up and everyone in the second understood the material pretty well. It's not about how well you do but how you do relative to the rest of your class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:45 am

rpupkin wrote:
People don't get differing grades at any T14? Every person you know has the same letter grade for all their classes? Seriously one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in this forum.

Seasick Sailor

New

Post by Seasick Sailor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:02 am

nebula666 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
People don't get differing grades at any T14? Every person you know has the same letter grade for all their classes? Seriously one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in this forum.
Come one, folks. Clearly a joke.

sadday

New

Post by sadday » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:14 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
uhh yes it does.

This is also just the nature of the curve. Maybe everyone else in the first class really screwed up and everyone in the second understood the material pretty well. It's not about how well you do but how you do relative to the rest of your class.
This seems unlikely.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:14 pm

rpupkin wrote:
:D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 pm

sadday wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
uhh yes it does.

This seems unlikely.
Why? Grading on a curve is all about how you do relative to the rest of your class.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:53 pm

A few days of cramming can teach you all you need for many subjects. Most 1L classes have like 20 pages of material to learn.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Law school exams yield seemingly arbitrary results because most people are very smart, go into them having worked hard and legitimately know the material (which really isn't rocket science).

Unlike a lot of college / high school exams, law school exams don't reliably reward hard work and knowledge of the material.

The results are a lot more like a sports match. Two major league baseball teams go against one another and maybe the better team will win 60-70% of the time, but both are full of world class athletes entirely dedicated to that goal.

Getting a B/B+ on a law school exam (at a good school) is, IMO, a lot like losing a professional sports match. It doesn't mean you're bad at sports or in any way ill-prepared, it just means somebody else was - for a very brief period of time when things were measured - better at sports.

If you're trying to get top grades that fact is understandably discouraging. Because of the curve, very few people can. The game was rigged from the start.

The only thing you have going for you is that most people are slow to pick up on just how different law school exams are from prior academic work. Professors look for very particular things, and while all smart/hard-working law students produce some amount of those things some amount of the time, if you really drill down you can do it more consistently than your peers because they won't be working towards the same goal.

If you treat your study as an exercise in learning how law school exams are graded, what gets points, and practice accumulating as many of them as possible on an exam, you're going to be doing something very different from your peers. If you take practice exams and then GRADE THEM - then do it with other people and GRADE THEM - then try to figure out exactly why and how they got different grades - you'll start to realize that there is a hell of a lot more method to the madness than most people think. The first time, two answers might look equally "good" but your check marks won't lie and you'll realize one actually got a dozen more points than the other. Pretty soon you'll see everything from an entirely different point of view, and you'll take the exams thinking like a law professor.

If you want As (every time) you have to focus on the act of getting As, and not the act of learning laws, going through the motions, devouring hornbooks, or being an obnoxious twat in class.

welkertexasranger

New

Post by welkertexasranger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:44 am

It depends on your particular curve, but from talking to professors / grading midterms as a TA, at my T14 there's a huge difference between an A and a B---getting one or the other is in no way arbitrary. On the other hand, what is pretty much arbitrary is the A- vs. B+ distinction. As with pretty much everything else in life, there's basically a normal distribution. The tails are obvious; it's the middle hump that's tough.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 am

worldtraveler wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
uhh yes it does.

sadday wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Except for the guy who posted tonight about getting an A+ and then two Bs at a T-10
nebula666 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
you people are stupid.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 am

thesealocust wrote:Law school exams yield seemingly arbitrary results because most people are very smart, go into them having worked hard and legitimately know the material (which really isn't rocket science).

Unlike a lot of college / high school exams, law school exams don't reliably reward hard work and knowledge of the material.

The results are a lot more like a sports match. Two major league baseball teams go against one another and maybe the better team will win 60-70% of the time, but both are full of world class athletes entirely dedicated to that goal.

Getting a B/B+ on a law school exam (at a good school) is, IMO, a lot like losing a professional sports match. It doesn't mean you're bad at sports or in any way ill-prepared, it just means somebody else was - for a very brief period of time when things were measured - better at sports.

If you're trying to get top grades that fact is understandably discouraging. Because of the curve, very few people can. The game was rigged from the start.

The only thing you have going for you is that most people are slow to pick up on just how different law school exams are from prior academic work. Professors look for very particular things, and while all smart/hard-working law students produce some amount of those things some amount of the time, if you really drill down you can do it more consistently than your peers because they won't be working towards the same goal.

If you treat your study as an exercise in learning how law school exams are graded, what gets points, and practice accumulating as many of them as possible on an exam, you're going to be doing something very different from your peers. If you take practice exams and then GRADE THEM - then do it with other people and GRADE THEM - then try to figure out exactly why and how they got different grades - you'll start to realize that there is a hell of a lot more method to the madness than most people think. The first time, two answers might look equally "good" but your check marks won't lie and you'll realize one actually got a dozen more points than the other. Pretty soon you'll see everything from an entirely different point of view, and you'll take the exams thinking like a law professor.

If you want As (every time) you have to focus on the act of getting As, and not the act of learning laws, going through the motions, devouring hornbooks, or being an obnoxious twat in class.
This was a high quality post. Solid analogy.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:Law school exams yield seemingly arbitrary results because most people are very smart, go into them having worked hard and legitimately know the material (which really isn't rocket science).

One of the best breakdowns I've seen in the four years I've been here. I spent a lot of time 1L year analyzing old exams and the model answers. Here's an anecdote: I noted that my con law professor placed a check mark next to every case name in the model answer. In fact, a simple sentence could garner like four check marks simply by citing multiple cases. The professor specifically told us that he would not reward fluff with no analysis. I will be the first to admit that I was completely lost in con law, but I wrote up a paragraph intro to each topic I talked about on the exam with a concise history/doctrinal explanation including as many case names as possible. My analysis was probably shit, but I got one of my highest grades of the year in that class purely by figuring out what he was awarding points for.

While most professors won't make available their marked up model exams, you can still divine what they are looking for. I style all of my answers to those of the model answers. You can tell what kind of heading styles they like, whether or not they like cases cited, how they prefer answers to be structured, etc. Let's face it, almost everyone knows the material. These are the things that are going to get you the A.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 pm

OutCold wrote:

One of the best breakdowns I've seen in the four years I've been here. I spent a lot of time 1L year analyzing old exams and the model answers. Here's an anecdote: I noted that my con law professor placed a check mark next to every case name in the model answer. In fact, a simple sentence could garner like four check marks simply by citing multiple cases. The professor specifically told us that he would not reward fluff with no analysis. I will be the first to admit that I was completely lost in con law, but I wrote up a paragraph intro to each topic I talked about on the exam with a concise history/doctrinal explanation including as many case names as possible. My analysis was probably shit, but I got one of my highest grades of the year in that class purely by figuring out what he was awarding points for.

While most professors won't make available their marked up model exams, you can still divine what they are looking for. I style all of my answers to those of the model answers. You can tell what kind of heading styles they like, whether or not they like cases cited, how they prefer answers to be structured, etc. Let's face it, almost everyone knows the material. These are the things that are going to get you the A.
Yep, law school exams are a game. Skill and knowledge are important, but so too are luck and working the refs and rules as best you can. Sort of like the practice of law in a way.....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Every exam is a crap shoot.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:32 pm

3|ink wrote:Every exam is a crap shoot.
except for the ones i do well on

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

I don't think grades are arbitrary. People on here and in law school regularly say: figure out what your professor wants, and do exactly that. Professors reward radically different types of analysis, so if you try to use the same style of argumentation and writing on different exams, you'll get radically different results. I got a 3.4 in one class this semester and a 4.0 in another - I strongly believe it's because the 4.0 professor gave out model answers from past exams, which I pored over extensively and even built my outline off of. In contrast, the 3.4 professor did not give us anything to go off of, so I just wrote what *I* thought sounded like an excellent answer. Turns out what I as a 1L think is excellent is actually just mediocre - shocking! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”