Memo Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SEngland

Bronze

Memo Question

Post by SEngland » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:51 pm

When writing a memo, I seem to have a hard time intertwining various case law in the same paragraphs and making it sound/look clean. I usually pick a supportive case, CREAC it, and then move onto the next case starting with a new paragraph. Does anyone have any advice on this technique? Basically, a sample memo where I can see someone who cited various case law in the same paragraph or portion of the discussion.

Thanks

Jsa725

Gold

Re: Memo Question

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lockfast

New

Re: Memo Question

Post by Lockfast » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 am

I agree with jsa.

Just put all the rules together so that they make sense in one paragraph. Then, in the following paragraph, apply the rules to the facts like you would on an exam.. but cleaner. One way I normally differ when writing memos, though, is that I don't always say "the court in XYZ." I'll just say "In XYZ, it was found that ABC constitutes LMNO. The present situation differs from that in XYZ because when Client did ABC, he did not ..." You get what I mean.

Conversely, you can state one pertinent rule, then the facts that apply to it, then another rule, and so on. But that is a more challenging and complex way of writing, but I've found that this works better for me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”