Quitting Law School. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Graham42

New

Re: Quitting Law School.

Post by Graham42 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Graham42 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:And one that doesn't apply to the OP, who, by all reasonable accounts, should cut their losses and run for the hills.
We don't know if this applies to the OP or not. Chances are it doesn't, but we cannot be sure. All in all, I can agree that it may be in OP's best interest not to continue.
Are you being willfully dense? They say right in the fucking OP that they go to a T20. Since all most law students are preftige whores, this actually probably means somewhere between 15 and 20, because if it were in the T14 they probably would have said that, and if it were HYS you best believe they probably would have said that.
ftfy

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Graham42 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:The condition being that you need to go to one of the top three law schools in the country to even have a prayer? That's a pretty huge condition, sir.
But a condition, nevertheless.
You suck.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Graham42 wrote: ftfy
I meant what I said you condescending prick.

Graham42

New

Post by Graham42 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:06 pm

[/quote]
I meant what I said you condescending prick.[/quote]
Fair enough. And for the record, wasn't trying to piss anyone off or be condescending. My sincerest apologies if I came off that way.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Graham42 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:And one that doesn't apply to the OP, who, by all reasonable accounts, should cut their losses and run for the hills.
We don't know if this applies to the OP or not. Chances are it doesn't, but we cannot be sure. All in all, I can agree that it may be in OP's best interest not to continue.
Wut? Did you miss the first post? Below median grades at a non-T-14 (assume that's why s/he put T-20 instead), and s/he admits to hating law school.

How does the wisdom of "cut your losses and run" not apply to the OP?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jhkim0319

New

Post by jhkim0319 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Thank you guys for all the comments!

My school actually is ranked between 15-20, and I also have no interests in getting into academia. My school has a pretty good reputation in the job but it's not so prestiguous that firms would take somebody well below the median.

At this point, I am 99% sure that I will drop out. I came into law school thinking that with my major (political science) the only way to earn big money is by becoming an attorney at a large firm, making 100K. I really didn't explore any other career options because I decided to go to law school before knowing what it's like to go be a lawyer, and also received a pretty good LSAT score during my UG years.

Once I've got into law school, I realized it was really a huge mistake obviously. I underestimated what it takes to do well in law school, and more importantly what it takes to be a lawyer. But I feel like the best thing I can do is quit now because I'm taking out 40K in loan each year, which would amount to 120K after 3 years, when the odds are against me. Besides, I didn't enjoy law school at all even during my first semester.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:39 pm

jhkim0319 wrote:Thank you guys for all the comments!

My school actually is ranked between 15-20, and I also have no interests in getting into academia. My school has a pretty good reputation in the job but it's not so prestiguous that firms would take somebody well below the median.

At this point, I am 99% sure that I will drop out. I came into law school thinking that with my major (political science) the only way to earn big money is by becoming an attorney at a large firm, making 100K. I really didn't explore any other career options because I decided to go to law school before knowing what it's like to go be a lawyer, and also received a pretty good LSAT score during my UG years.

Once I've got into law school, I realized it was really a huge mistake obviously. I underestimated what it takes to do well in law school, and more importantly what it takes to be a lawyer. But I feel like the best thing I can do is quit now because I'm taking out 40K in loan each year, which would amount to 120K after 3 years, when the odds are against me. Besides, I didn't enjoy law school at all even during my first semester.
You have a lot of self awareness and you seem like a reasonable person. Dropping out is a great decision for you. Good luck with whatever comes next.

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Post by tiltedwindmill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:

You have a lot of self awareness and you seem like a reasonable person. Dropping out is a great decision for you. Good luck with whatever comes next.
sd5289 wrote:
Graham42 wrote:So, do you mean to say that a JD is completely, utterly, and entirely invaluable in the pursuit of any career in academia?
Depends on what academia you're talking about. I suspect you mean law professor, and in that case, no. It's extremely hard to become a law professor, and I'd love to see an example of a recent law school grad who jumped into working as a law professor. It just isn't done. Add on top of that lower than median grades and a non-T-14, and I'd give this a snowball's chance in hell of actually happening. Actually, the odds are probably worse.
You could get a job at Indiana TTTech.

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Post by tiltedwindmill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:

sd5289 wrote:
Graham42 wrote:So, do you mean to say that a JD is completely, utterly, and entirely invaluable in the pursuit of any career in academia?
Depends on what academia you're talking about. I suspect you mean law professor, and in that case, no. It's extremely hard to become a law professor, and I'd love to see an example of a recent law school grad who jumped into working as a law professor. It just isn't done. Add on top of that lower than median grades and a non-T-14, and I'd give this a snowball's chance in hell of actually happening. Actually, the odds are probably worse.
You could get a job at Indiana TTTech.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:03 pm

You didn't even come up with one thing a JD would be good for outside of practicing law or teaching lawyers ( note getting a law prof gig is insanely competitive - read the faculty lounge blog posts about how top people from top schools not only can't find teaching jobs but also can't get back into private practice.

OP: dropping out is a very smart move. Don't continue to pile on debt and years of your life for a job you don't want.

jhkim0319

New

Post by jhkim0319 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Thank you for the kind words! Wish you the best in your law school/career as well.

jhkim0319

New

Post by jhkim0319 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 pm

P.S. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going to law school. It does work out for some people and I have to say most people in my school were brilliant and I have a feeling that they will enjoy and make far in their legal career. My decision to drop out has a lot to do with personal issues.

My first language is not English, and I believe it will continue to hurt me through out law school and career. I have no connection in the legal field. My family's not so rich and I can't ask them to continue to finance for my living while I attend law school, even if I take loans. I also have health issues that became progressively worse throughout my first semester. My instinct tells me that I will lose the number game once I graduate with my grades.

But with all that said, it still hurts my self-confidence that I ranked bottom 20% in my class. I think 0Ls should really think carefully how motivated they are, and nothing else will disturb their studies throughout their law school years.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 pm

jhkim0319 wrote:P.S. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going to law school. It does work out for some people and I have to say most people in my school were brilliant and I have a feeling that they will enjoy and make far in their legal career. My decision to drop out has a lot to do with personal issues.

My first language is not English, and I believe it will continue to hurt me through out law school and career. I have no connection in the legal field. My family's not so rich and I can't ask them to continue to finance for my living while I attend law school, even if I take loans. I also have health issues that became progressively worse throughout my first semester. My instinct tells me that I will lose the number game once I graduate with my grades.

But with all that said, it still hurts my self-confidence that I ranked bottom 20% in my class. I think 0Ls should really think carefully how motivated they are, and nothing else will disturb their studies throughout their law school years.
I think with this attitude you'll be successful in something else. Don't sweat the lousy grades. Other students probably wanted it more, and worked harder. Additionally, the language thing might make it boarderline impossible if you're just spotting the same issues most students do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Law school exams are arbitrary homie. Don't let it get to you. You're smart enough to make this decision, you're smart enough to do something else!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Dropping out is a good call for you. Law school blows, legal market blows, debt blows. Get out son

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 pm

PepperJack wrote:
jhkim0319 wrote:P.S. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going to law school. It does work out for some people and I have to say most people in my school were brilliant and I have a feeling that they will enjoy and make far in their legal career. My decision to drop out has a lot to do with personal issues.

I think with this attitude you'll be successful in something else. Don't sweat the lousy grades. Other students probably wanted it more, and worked harder. Additionally, the language thing might make it boarderline impossible if you're just spotting the same issues most
students do.
OP: we know that low grades in law school do not correlate with how hard your work or how much you want it. Don't take your grades as an indication of your ability in anything more than taking a curved law school exam. I think you are correctly assessing the issues you may have had with language and with illness during the semester.

There are plenty of great careers out there. You are making a smart decision that many more 1Ls should be making right now. You are one of the few who are aware enough to understand that you need to leave now and more on to something else.

Good luck to you in the future!

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Brother or sister,

Your grades aren't so poor. All A's and a B+ or two next semester might put you somewhere in the top third of your class. You could do that and you could graduate with honors.

That said, if you truly and deeply feel law is not right for you--after abstracting from what you've taken to be a permanent demerit, your first semester grades, and after deeply thinking and meditating or praying over some time--the fact that you can pull your grades up and graduate with honors is irrelevant.

Follow your heart; but don't be deceived by your mind regarding the grades.

http://hlrecord.org/?p=452

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:11 pm

LexLeon wrote:Brother or sister,

Your grades aren't so poor. All A's and a B+ or two next semester might put you somewhere in the top third of your class. You could do that and you could graduate with honors.

That said, if you truly and deeply feel law is not right for you--after abstracting from what you've taken to be a permanent demerit, your first semester grades, and after deeply thinking and meditating or praying over some time--the fact that you can pull your grades up and graduate with honors is irrelevant.

This post is bad and you should feel bad.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 pm

A lot of people figure their crap out exam wise second semester. If you enjoy law school stick w/ it. If you hate it run.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 pm

jarofsoup wrote:A lot of people figure their crap out exam wise second semester. If you enjoy law school stick w/ it. If you hate it run.
Yet mysteriously the average GPA for the class is the same first and second semester.

Hmmm.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:

I'm really surprised that your reasoning could be so poor. You should read my post again.

You, Thesealocust, advised:

"Good hustle. No shame. Dropping out now will be the best thing you can do for the future."

Giving categorical advice, to someone whose inner situation you hardly know, is more ignorant than you seem to comprehend. You have no idea what the "best thing" for Jhkim0319's future is.

Jhkim0319 might do well to complete another semester--even if the decision to go to law school was mistake to begin with, or even if (s)he will eventually drop out.

You might be leading Jhkim0319 to make an even worse mistake, by phrasing your ignorant advice with such confidence.

Compare our posts, Thesealocust, compare our posts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 pm

LexLeon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I'm really surprised that your reasoning could be so poor. You should read my post again.

"Good hustle. No shame. Dropping out now will be the best thing you can do for the future."

Giving categorical advice, to someone whose inner situation you hardly know, is more ignorant than you seem to comprehend. You have no idea what the "best thing" for Jhkim0319's future is.

Jhkim0319 might do well to complete another semester--even if the decision to go to law school was mistake to begin with, or even if (s)he will eventually drop out.

You might be leading Jhkim0319 to make an even worse mistake, by phrasing your ignorant advice with such confidence.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:

This is why friends dont let friends drunk post.. Or high as balls post more likely

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 am

LexLeon wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

The best predictor of how one does their second semester is their first semester. Conceivably he can get straight A's, and you're right. It's also conceivable he can win the mega millions jackpot. Either way, for better or worse they're going to look at the cumulative performance. There are cut offs to get interviews. If someone got all C+s and then all As, sensibly you'd prefer them over an all A-s student because you are training them in the beginning anyway. However, that's not how the system works.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:44 am

If you don't think you want to practice law quit.
The only situation I can think of where staying on below median makes sense is this: You aren't paying tuition (so COL or less), AND you love law and are sure you want to be a lawyer. If you are somewhat below median and are gunning for PI (and have demonstrated interest) then stay in for the second semester to see if you can sneak above median.

Sounds like you are far from that situation, why take on debt to have a very small chance at getting a job you are fairly certain you will hate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”