Moral Character / Referrals Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jh756

New

Moral Character / Referrals

Post by jh756 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I was going back over the info that I'm going to need to submit for my moral character determination here in California, and I noticed that it required five references, and even stipulated one should be a bar member. I literally know no one who is a member of the bar in the state, other than, say, professors. I'm also not the type that collects relationships. Anyone know how this will affect my moral character app? Do I have to know a lawyer to be a lawyer?

Bikeflip

Gold

Re: Moral Character / Referrals

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Does California actually need your attorney/bar reference to be barred in California, or does the state merely want you to have a reference that is barred somewhere? Either way, call up the California Bar people. They shouldn't be scary; I'd imagine they get this question a lot.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 pm

"State the full names, complete addresses (including floor and/or suite numbers and zip codes), and occupations of five reputable and responsible persons who know you well. At least one of these persons should be a member of the Bar of any U.S. or foreign jurisdiction and only one may be a law professor from whom you have received instruction. Do not include persons who have only casual knowledge of you, persons related to you by blood or marriage, or persons listed as employment or verifying references on the previous screens. "

A prof is fine and they can be a member of the bar in any jx. HTH.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:19 pm

So, this may derail the topic, but I don't know where else to discuss it, but who exactly are you listing your referrals as? Mostly friends? Coworkers from previous jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”