how can I prepare myself for law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gravity

New

how can I prepare myself for law school?

Post by gravity » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:02 pm

i'll be going to law school this fall... but i'm a little worried because i'm an engineering major, and reading and writing are my weaknesses... what can i do for the next 8 months to prepare myself for law school?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Re: how can I prepare myself for law school?

Post by orangeswarm » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Don't sweat it. Maybe read "Getting to Maybe", "Building Career Connections: Networking Tools for Law Students and New Lawyers", and maybe do LEEWS.

I never wrote a essay on a single college exam and had no problem with the transition.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 pm

get planet law school 2...its a lot better than getting to maybe.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Don't sweat it. Maybe read "Getting to Maybe", "Building Career Connections: Networking Tools for Law Students and New Lawyers", and maybe do LEEWS.

Hey Paul can you give a brief summary of ''Building Career Connections: Networking Tools for Law Students and New Lawyers"

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 pm

It is a book focused on networking in the legal profession. It tells you the best places for a law student to make networking contacts, the best techniques for effective networking, etc.... It is really a great book and I think should be a must-read for any student not attending a t14 (considering employment is a bit tougher, especially as a 1L).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:15 am

Just relax and enjoy yourself so that you are energized and ready to work when school starts. I think the more important aspect of doing well in law school is not what you do before it but how effectively you study during it. So, read books like Law School Confidential to get a sense of what's going on, but don't buy into the hype and stress that they are selling. You will be fine.

00TREX00

Bronze

Post by 00TREX00 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:34 am

Last edited by 00TREX00 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowboarder2713

Bronze

Post by snowboarder2713 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:59 am

Getting to Maybe
Practice of Law School
Law School Confidential
Law 101 Everything You Need to Know About the American Legal System

Those are the 4 books that I see repeatedly (with LSP2) on TLS and those are what Princeton Review recommends as well.

Edit: I just posted descriptions of the book here on my TLS blog http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 11&t=18501 (shameless plug, but at least it's still on TLS).

jeff2486

New

Post by jeff2486 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about reading and writing being your weak point. Legal writing is much different than much of the writing college students are used to. Therefore the people that consider themselves excellent writers will be much closer to on the same foot as you then you think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:51 pm

If you are considering Patent law, prepare for and take the Patent Bar.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:14 am

paul1454 wrote:It is a book focused on networking in the legal profession. It tells you the best places for a law student to make networking contacts, the best techniques for effective networking, etc.... It is really a great book and I think should be a must-read for any student not attending a t14 (considering employment is a bit tougher, especially as a 1L).

Sounds like a good one. I'm going to put it on my list of books to get. Thanks

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 am

If you are considering Patent law, prepare for and take the Patent Bar.
While useful for other reasons, taking the patent bar won't help prepare you for law school in any way.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:53 am

Sounds like a good one. I'm going to put it on my list of books to get. Thanks
It just came out. So if you can't find it for a good price on amazon or half, I'm sure any networking book will do. It just pays to work on your networking skills (since only a small percentage of jobs are obtained through OCI).

lwpat

New

Post by lwpat » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:10 pm

gravity wrote:i'll be going to law school this fall... but i'm a little worried because i'm an engineering major, and reading and writing are my weaknesses... what can i do for the next 8 months to prepare myself for law school?
I was an engineering major also with the same problems. First thing to do is to get familar with West and Lexis. Both have free tutorials. The faster you are at legal research prior to school the better.

Get Writing to Win: The Legal Writer By Steven D. Stark. You can find it at Amazon for about 7.00. Planet Law School is also a must in my opinion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”