Dealing with anxiety, not becoming bitter, etc. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
minnbills

Gold

Dealing with anxiety, not becoming bitter, etc.

Post by minnbills » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:46 pm

I wanted to ask others who might be going through the same thing, but I feel like I am becoming more and more bitter and unhappy with my situation. I enjoy law school academically, but my anxiety over finding a job and feeling like I am a loser in the law school equation is starting to have a significant effect on me. It has gotten to the point where I have more or less given up. Recently, I had a family friend offer to connect me to a friend of his who is a partner at a big firm, but I turned him down because I know they wouldn't hire me. That's obviously a ridiculous reaction. Yet, I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't want to become some bitter graduate, for obvious reasons.

So, law students, how do you guys stay chipper?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: Dealing with anxiety, not becoming bitter, etc.

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:59 pm

Last edited by Another on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:43 am

I agree with the prior comments. It sounds like you're a 1L who doesn't have grades yet. How can you even know how well you'll do? Many people are surprised. You're cutting yourself short now by giving up.

If you feel down, in addition to seeking counseling, you need to take breaks, as you seem burnt out. Hang out with people outside of law school. Talk with a mentor. You need to find your motivation again. It's not too late.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:08 am

Fuck big law

That shit sucks anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:38 pm

minnbills wrote:I wanted to ask others who might be going through the same thing, but I feel like I am becoming more and more bitter and unhappy with my situation. I enjoy law school academically, but my anxiety over finding a job and feeling like I am a loser in the law school equation is starting to have a significant effect on me. It has gotten to the point where I have more or less given up. Recently, I had a family friend offer to connect me to a friend of his who is a partner at a big firm, but I turned him down because I know they wouldn't hire me. That's obviously a ridiculous reaction. Yet, I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't want to become some bitter graduate, for obvious reasons.

So, law students, how do you guys stay chipper?
Definitely see a psychiatrist for some talk therapy. Meds could help too. Just stay away from Zoloft if you can avoid it. That shit makes you gain weight and go impotent.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:05 pm

MN is a tough market. I am willing to bet 50% of UMN is in the same boat as you, so don't feel alone.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:52 pm

There's nothing wrong with being bitter, so long as you use your bitterness as a fuel to drive you forward to goals.

Anxiety is an unpleasant feeling however. What I do to deal with anxiety is to either stop thinking about my problems, be overly confident towards them, or to permit myself only a limited amount of time per day in which to think about them. Getting out of negative thought loops pays big dividends in terms of improving one's productivity and quality of life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”