February New York bar exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sarahbobara

New

February New York bar exam

Post by sarahbobara » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Hello, I signed up to take the NY bar in February. I am already admitted to the bar in another state.
This is a thread for those who are also taking the NY bar in February, or have taken it in the past.

my questions are, for those who have taken the February exam in the past:

1) when do the seat location assignments come out?
2) what are the chances that Manhattan will be an option for out-of-towners? I looked into it and I was told by somebody at the bar examiners that after everybody chooses their seats, and Manhattan is initially not an option for out-of-staters, that if there are any available slots in Manhattan, they will send out an email... If that happens, when will it happen? and how likely is it that there will be available spots?

In the past few years, about 11,000 people take the July exam, and only 4,000 people take the February exam. So I was hoping this might mean there might be spots available in Manhattan :-)

credence023

New

Re: February New York bar exam

Post by credence023 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:49 pm

I am waiting on the seat assignment as well. I am actually from NYC, but went out-of-state for law school. I really hope they let me take the bar in the city. It would be a bummer to have to go to Buffalo or Albany.

sarahbobara

New

Post by sarahbobara » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:08 pm

credence023 wrote:I am waiting on the seat assignment as well. I am actually from NYC, but went out-of-state for law school. I really hope they let me take the bar in the city. It would be a bummer to have to go to Buffalo or Albany.
From what I understand they will base it off of the address you gave them in your application.
Unfortunately I used (and could only use) an out-of-state address.

credence023

New

Post by credence023 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Any news yet? According to the instructions we are supposed to receive an e-mail "shortly after the application period closes" regarding our seat location...

sarahbobara

New

Post by sarahbobara » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:21 pm

credence023 wrote:Any news yet? According to the instructions we are supposed to receive an e-mail "shortly after the application period closes" regarding our seat location...

I haven't received anything myself. Not sure if it means anything or if this is any indication, but I was browsing the posts regarding the July exam, and it seemed like the seating assignments did not come until early June (the application month was April), and for the Feb exam, the corresponding time would be early January. However, perhaps the fact that so fewer people are taking the Feb exam, maybe it won't take as long and we'll get something sooner... who knows..

credence023

New

Post by credence023 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Still waiting. Again, I will post when I receive the e-mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”