K-JDs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stinson

Bronze

Re: K-JDs

Post by Stinson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am

TigerDude wrote:lol at people who worked 2 years of entry level corporation gigs thinking they are mature now.
Don't forget one year internships at non-profits or teaching intro French at boarding schools. Harsh lessons all around.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am

arklaw13 wrote:If your WE was that great you shouldn't have gone to law school.
What if you're going for free and the only cost is opportunity cost?

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am

stillwater wrote:
If you are talking to me, it wasn't "great." It's just useful to have done something. Employers wouldn't uniformly comment on it as a positive if it weren't. It's simply demented to think it's not positive. K-JDs do get jobs. Grades are paramount. They are pretty much the alpha and omega of getting in the door. But, again, to ignore its value is just you not getting it.
I think it depends on what you did. If you were the manager or head folder at Abercrombie, I doubt that's impressive. If you were a captain in the marines, that's impressive. I think WE is just like any other co-curricular. For instance, school activities. If you were a member of the running club, not as impressive as a D1 track All American. Sometimes it helps you, but the degree of assistance probably depends on what the job or school activity actually is.

And K-JDs most certainly do get jobs. To think otherwise is kind of silly. People with significant prior WE are call nontraditional for a reason. Most starting associates are K-JDs.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:35 am

Each day it is a privilege to listen to those sage 24-year-olds impart the wisdom they gained from working as a 9-5 insurance temp and then blacking out on vodka tonics until they puked on their crooked ties four nights a week. Truly their life experience has been like a kiln in which those SCHOLARLY MINDS have hardened to perfection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:57 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Each day it is a privilege to listen to those sage 24-year-olds impart the wisdom they gained from working as a 9-5 insurance temp and then blacking out on vodka tonics until they puked on their crooked ties four nights a week. Truly their life experience has been like a kiln in which those SCHOLARLY MINDS have hardened to perfection.
I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that employers value "9-5 insurance temp" WE for anything more than showing you are moderately dependable by being in a certain place at a certain time with some consistency. But if you have professional WE where, e.g., you've had to meet deadlines, you've had some face time with real clients, you've had to work in a team with other professionals, etc., that's where the value is.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 am

buddyt wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Each day it is a privilege to listen to those sage 24-year-olds impart the wisdom they gained from working as a 9-5 insurance temp and then blacking out on vodka tonics until they puked on their crooked ties four nights a week. Truly their life experience has been like a kiln in which those SCHOLARLY MINDS have hardened to perfection.
I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that employers value "9-5 insurance temp" WE for anything more than showing you are moderately dependable by being in a certain place at a certain time with some consistency. But if you have professional WE where, e.g., you've had to meet deadlines, you've had some face time with real clients, you've had to work in a team with other professionals, etc., that's where the value is.
insurance temp WE meets deadlines, has face time with real clients, and has you work in a team with other professionals

general buzz words that can be applied to running a lemonade stand are not impressive
buddyt wrote:
opportunity cost = directly related to WE so yes

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:59 am

butthurt K-JD.

this thread cracks me up. probably one of the most rehashed truisms is challenged by K-JDs and stoutly defended by non-K-JDs. again, grades>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WE>>>>>>>>>>>>favorite color. Not many moving parts to this picture.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:31 am

I'm not a K-JD. I'm slightly envious of K-JDs because they didn't waste their time on low-paying jobs like me right after undergrad. If they land big law, they'll be able to maximize the money they make and get in as many years as they can before having kids. By the time I start my big law job, I'll be closes to the age of having kids.

On the other hand, there is a mentality difference, but I wouldn't say that it's wrong necessarily. Everyone deserves to go through a certain phase of life. I just feel like I'm past that phase since I'm married and what not. I have found that K-JDs are less likely to be settled down, so they're more likely to go out and socialize. They treat law school more like college. I treated law school like a job. Since I had been laid off in the workforce before law school, I understand the importance of getting good grades and good jobs. I felt less need to socialize as a result. Also, I find that K-JDs are more likely to question their choice of going to law school, because they had never worked much, and they don't know why they are in law school. Older students are more likely to be confident of their choice to go to law school.

But honestly, this broad picture doesn't hold us as true always. I have seen very mature K-JDs with well-defined plans. I have seen immature people who had worked before law school with no idea why they are in law school. It depends on the person.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

I'm not a k-JD and actually dislike the mentality of the other people who took time to work prior to law school. There's kind of a desperation "my last chance to have fun because I'm old!" attitude socially. Also they seem to get frustrated with the K-JD people way too easily.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 am

I'm a K-JD. Most people don't even know nor care that I went straight through. I honestly don't know or care whether you went straight through or took time off. I'm friends with both. Both have jobs. Who cares. Shit I don't even now how old most the people outside my close friends are.

$alty

New

Post by $alty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 pm

alicrimson wrote:Most starting associates are K-JDs.
lol

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:42 pm

sinfiery wrote:
buddyt wrote:
insurance temp WE meets deadlines, has face time with real clients, and has you work in a team with other professionals

general buzz words that can be applied to running a lemonade stand are not impressive
LOL if you can't see the difference in deadlines/client face time between an insurance temp (not a professional gig, btw) and a real professional e.g. consultant, accountant, software developer, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:49 pm

also, blacking on vodka tonics after a hard day at the temp agency is 180 180 180 180

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55 pm

buddyt wrote: LOL if you can't see the difference in deadlines/client face time between an insurance temp (not a professional gig, btw) and a real professional e.g. consultant, accountant, software developer, etc.
sorry biglemonade didn't work out for you but biglaw doesn't care

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm

sinfiery wrote:
buddyt wrote: LOL if you can't see the difference in deadlines/client face time between an insurance temp (not a professional gig, btw) and a real professional e.g. consultant, accountant, software developer, etc.
sorry biglemonade didn't work out for you but biglaw doesn't care
i mean they do. there is a position between they don't care at all and its everything. closer to don't care but its a nice SOFT to toss on that killer GPA.

ETA: least of all it gives you something concrete to talk about during OCI. no one wants to talk about glee clubs in UG, like the Panda Appreciation Club or the French Medieval Slam Poetry Competition you won Most Improved at.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 pm

buddyt wrote:
Depends on the school, of course. But like I said, if one's WE was really so stellar, I would question the decision to lose three years of salary for a good shot at biglaw, a decent possibility of unemployment, and a strong chance of depression and general dissatisfaction with your career choice. Let's be honest. Almost all of us, K-JD or not, went to law school because we're prestige whores who are willing to work painfully long hours consisting mainly of mindless drudgery just so we can impress the world with our nice suits and six-figure salaries, and/or our liberal arts degrees don't give us many opportunities for real jobs. K-JD or not, we're all pretty damn insufferable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm

[/quote]and/or our liberal arts degrees don't give us many opportunities for real jobs. [/quote]

This is the main reason for many of you choosing law....

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:05 am

LSATNightmares wrote:I have found that K-JDs are less likely to be settled down, so they're more likely to go out and socialize. They treat law school more like college. I treated law school like a job. Since I had been laid off in the workforce before law school, I understand the importance of getting good grades and good jobs. I felt less need to socialize as a result.

I have seen very mature K-JDs with well-defined plans. I have seen immature people who had worked before law school with no idea why they are in law school. It depends on the person.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 am

brotherdarkness wrote:Having work experience of some kind is only going to help. Grades will always be more important, though. /thread
ofc but OP is insufferable so no

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:17 am

I don't get how working for a few years and still being aimless is better than being straight up aimless.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 am

El Pollito wrote:I don't get how working for a few years and still being aimless is better than being straight up aimless.

so much more wisdom

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”