ITT: Evidence Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Blumpbeef

Gold

Re: ITT: Evidence

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Tyty

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Can a present sense impression be contained in a writing?

For example, what if a cop jots down in his notebook that: "It is 12:45 AM. I'm looking right at the suspect. He has a beard and an eye-patch."

Could this be introduced to show that the suspect did in fact have a beard and an eye-patch under 803(1)? Or would you have to go to 803(5)?

I know 803(8) and (7) are no-goes.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 pm

803(1): a statement describing....

801((a): "Statement" means a persons oral assertion, written assertion...

So, yes.

As for 803(5): "a record on a matter the witness ... cannot recall ..."

I think you would want to use 803(1) because it would allow you to bring the record directly into evidence as an exhibit instead of just read into evidence. You also won't need to show that it is on something that the witness cannot currently recall.

ETA: although, and I don't really know the case law on this too well, but 803(8) might keep this out regardless. ie. if it is inadmissible under 803(8), then it is inadmissible period. ETAA: From what I can tell, it would be admissible if the maker of the report testifies to its authenticity and is subject to cross, but if not 803(8) might exclude it.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Blumpbeef wrote: ETA: although, and I don't really know the case law on this too well, but 803(8) might keep this out regardless. ie. if it is inadmissible under 803(8), then it is inadmissible period. ETAA: From what I can tell, it would be admissible if the maker of the report testifies to its authenticity and is subject to cross, but if not 803(8) might exclude it.
I believe it would be excluded regardless of if the guy came in and testifies about it. It would be bolstering his testimony with a consistent statement as what he is testifying about (presumably), and if he fucks up and there is an attempt to impeach their own witness the prosecution may get into trouble for improper motive. It could only come in to rebut inferences of recent fabrication or something.

Of course if it is not an adversarial police report (like he is counting how often a light turns green and writing it down but not investigating a crime or something) then it could come in for present sense impression.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 am

My exam is in a few hours and I don't really understand character evidence in civil or criminal cases. Can anyone help me out? :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:28 am

mtyler19 wrote:My exam is in a few hours and I don't really understand character evidence in civil or criminal cases. Can anyone help me out? :?
General ban on evidence that is used to show that on a particular occasion a person acted in accordance with a character trait they have (generally violent person commits assault because they're violent). You can use previous crimes wrongs or other acts to prove motive intent plan etc (404(b)). 404(b) applies to both civil and criminal cases.

In criminal cases it can be used in certain instances when the defendant opens the door. Those are when the D provides evidence of his own good character, the victims pertinent trait (D claims self-defense and offers evidence that V was first aggressor).

In a homicide case the prosecutor can offer evidence of the victims peacefulness if D has offered evidence that V was first aggressor.

I pretty much just typed out the rule but if you have specific questions it might be easier to help.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Pleasye wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:My exam is in a few hours and I don't really understand character evidence in civil or criminal cases. Can anyone help me out? :?
General ban on evidence that is used to show that on a particular occasion a person acted in accordance with a character trait they have (generally violent person commits assault because they're violent). You can use previous crimes wrongs or other acts to prove motive intent plan etc (404(b)). 404(b) applies to both civil and criminal cases.

In criminal cases it can be used in certain instances when the defendant opens the door. Those are when the D provides evidence of his own good character, the victims pertinent trait (D claims self-defense and offers evidence that V was first aggressor).

In a homicide case the prosecutor can offer evidence of the victims peacefulness if D has offered evidence that V was first aggressor.

I pretty much just typed out the rule but if you have specific questions it might be easier to help.
That was perfect thank you!!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm super late to this party. Was gonna take tomorrow but might wait til friday. Kind of embarrassed to be saying this as a 3L but this shit is sneaky hard.

But I did ask my friend to loan me an E&E last week and he said he'd put it in my mailbox. Got there the next day and found 4 separate hornbooks, one of which was the E&E.

So I got that goin for me

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Can specific acts probative of truthfulness (say, to ask W if he's cheated on his income taxes) come in on cross under Rule 608 even against an eyewitness or a non-character witness and before any direct reputation/opinion evidence has come in? Or can you only ask about specific instances on cross to a person already testifying as a character witness (i.e. giving reputation/opinion evidence). I think it's the former. Just want to double check.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Any witness can be attacked for character for truthfulness. So yes it's the former.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Pleasye wrote:Any witness can be attacked for character for truthfulness. So yes it's the former.
thanks girl. you seem very prepared

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Pleasye wrote:Any witness can be attacked for character for truthfulness. So yes it's the former.
thanks girl. you seem very prepared
I hope so since I took the exam yesterday :lol:

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:50 pm

is there any F.R.E rule for curative admissibility or is it a common law principle?

thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”