E&E and other Supplements Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
aximpod

New

E&E and other Supplements

Post by aximpod » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm taking ConLaw, Contracts and Property this semester.

I used Examples and Explanations for my classes last semester (Crim, Torts and Civpro). CivPro and Torts were written by Glannon and were helpful (The civPro one was awesome while the torts was helpful). The Crim one was useless as my Professor concentrated on state penal law and the MPC (No common law at all)

I also used the Understanding Series for Torts and CivPro. Like the E&E's, I had mixed success. The Torts one was super helpful (My Professor could not control the class and just let students yelped away for the entire class). The CivPro one was boring, dry and useless.

I also purchased the one volume student hornbooks for my classes but they were hit and misses. The Civil Procedure was extremely helpful for the macro view but mediocre when it came to the second part of the course - the FRCP Rules. Prosser on Torts was a bit outdated and the CrimLaw was useless to me.

I'm interested to know if anyone used the Example and Explanations for Contracts, Property and ConLaw and their opinion on how useful it was. I also like to know what casebook they use and if that particular E&E's was keyed to a certain casebook or hornbook (Glannon Civpro was in sync with Yeazell)

Any other supplement you recommend for my classes? I have the Chemerinsky Supplement for ConLaw already.

I know it sounded like a lot of money but I got most of them used from Amazon and from reward points.

Thanks.
Last edited by aximpod on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:34 pm

It was great for contracts. Can't comment on property or con law.

mrbuckfutter

New

Post by mrbuckfutter » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:17 pm

what law school do you go to btw?

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm not in law school yet, but I'm trying to figure out what extra stuff needs to be bought. I keep hearing about E&Es, Emanuel, other commercial outlines, hornbooks. Needless to say, I'm a bit confused. What's the deal with all this stuff, and what do you think is most effective?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Well you don't really need to do any of it before school starts. In fact, you may end up wasting your time (like the OP who bought a crim law supplement that covered completely different stuff than the course).

They all have a different style but mostly teach the same stuff (some goes more in-depth than others). I posted a quick rundown of what I used here. You can get a little bit of an idea of the differences between the different supplements from that post. I would suggest clicking on the link I posted for the lexis outlines so you will at least be able to see what a commercial outline (a type of study aid) is before you shell out a bunch of money to buy one of everything.

If you still have more questions, feel free to ask away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lwpat

New

Post by lwpat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 pm

What you need to do is to find out what type of exam you will have. If it is multiple choice or short answer the Exam Pro and Question & Answers series are good. If it is essay then Siegels or Emmanuels have practice essay questions. The E&E's are always good but you need to use them through the course, not at the end for exam study. For a listing of study aids by course http://www.law-school-books.com

For the poster not in school yet get Planet Law School.

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Hey, if you happen to have the Dukeminier Property book this semester, then I'd definitely recommend Gilbert's commercial outline for Property because Dukeminier wrote the commercial outline as well, so it's perfect to actually learn the black-letter law that the casebook didn't do a great job of teaching.

Other than that, I've heard that the guy who wrote the Understanding Series book for Contracts did a really good job.

But ultimately, the best bet is to ask your own prof. If he/she recommends one hornbook/supplement over the others, DEFINITELY choose that one.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 pm

Hey, if you happen to have the Dukeminier Property book this semester, then I'd definitely recommend Gilbert's commercial outline for Property because Dukeminier wrote the commercial outline as well,
Hmmm, I have Dukeminier...................excellent advice!

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:23 pm

haha...me too!

It's a terrible book...maybe just a terrible subject.

The most recent edition of the Gilbert's is Krier. I assume that's okay too since he's a co-author. He's also Andrew W.K.'s father, and a visiting prof at Alabama this semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Well the Dukeminier casebook is actually Dukeminier, Krier, and two other authors. Plus, I believe that Dukeminier actually died recently.

But Gilbert's should definitely still be pretty on-point because it has at least one (if not more) if the authors that wrote the casebook.

Good luck!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 am

anyone have any property shout outs?

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 am

aximpod

New

Re:

Post by aximpod » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 pm

caribelita wrote:Hey, if you happen to have the Dukeminier Property book this semester, then I'd definitely recommend Gilbert's commercial outline for Property because Dukeminier wrote the commercial outline as well, so it's perfect to actually learn the black-letter law that the casebook didn't do a great job of teaching.

Other than that, I've heard that the guy who wrote the Understanding Series book for Contracts did a really good job.

But ultimately, the best bet is to ask your own prof. If he/she recommends one hornbook/supplement over the others, DEFINITELY choose that one.
Thanks for the information Caribelita! I actually use a different property textbook (everyone else in my school uses Dukeminier though). I'll probably get the Understanding Series with my reward points from LexisNexis. Been saving them for something on amazon.com but I'll probably spend it on books.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sbjohnsn

New

Re: E&E and other Supplements

Post by sbjohnsn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 pm

For Criminal Law, I reccomend the Understanding Criminal Law supplement. I had the Kadish book and it provided clarity on black letter law where the book was quite vague.

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 am

I really like Understanding Property. It's the only supplement I use for that subject. We started Crim Law this semester and our prof recommended Understanding for that as well.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:47 am

Understanding Criminal Law
Dressler is the man on Crim law.

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:49 am

Dressler's black letter outline for crim is great as well as his understanding crim law book

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:12 am

Dressler's black letter outline
Available freestylin' (rock the microphone) on Lexis.

Oh Lexis,
Well I came and you let me print 400 page hornbooks for free.
but I shunned your points, oh Lexis.
You gave me your candy and free pizza lunch.
You're still pretty skanky, oh Lexis.

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:05 pm

Hey PKSebben, which 400 page hornbooks are provided for free on Lexis? Are you talking about the Understanding Series--'cause I can't seem to find those for "free" anywhere on the Lexis webpage.

The only thing I find for free are the short black-letter outline documents for some of the 1st Year courses, and they're definitely not "hornbook" style.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:36 pm

First, you have to have lawschool or legal Lexis. LexisAcademiaWorldIncoporatedBBQ has different resources.

They're under Secondary Sources, Area of Law Treatises.

Here is just a small list of 1L stuff.

Matthew Bender® Treatise
Civil Procedure: Moore's Federal Practice - Civil
Contracts: Corbin on Contracts
Criminal Law: Moore's Federal Practice - Criminal
Real Property: Powell on Real Property
Torts Personal Injury: Actions, Defenses, Damages

Don't forget Farnsworth on K's, too. I like that one.

Also, I like the outlines too - they're condensed from the "Understanding [Boring Legal Topic Here] Series".

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:58 am

Understanding Property and Understanding Torts have both been really helpful. E&E Contracts has been good (the same author that wrote our textbook wrote the E&E). E&E Torts okay. E&E Civ Pro is good.

"Workbook on Estates and Future Interests" will save your life on estates and future interests problems for Property

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:59 pm

I went ahead and ordered the Understanding Property and E&E Property (thanks to everyone for giving their opinion).

I also want to stress how much Understanding Torts helped me out. The book was so good, I outlined from it and filled in bits and pieces from E&E and my textbook. I also received one of the highest mark on the final :lol:

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:04 pm

PKSebben wrote:First, you have to have lawschool or legal Lexis. LexisAcademiaWorldIncoporatedBBQ has different resources.

They're under Secondary Sources, Area of Law Treatises.

Here is just a small list of 1L stuff.

Matthew Bender® Treatise
Civil Procedure: Moore's Federal Practice - Civil
Contracts: Corbin on Contracts
Criminal Law: Moore's Federal Practice - Criminal
Real Property: Powell on Real Property
Torts Personal Injury: Actions, Defenses, Damages

Don't forget Farnsworth on K's, too. I like that one.

Also, I like the outlines too - they're condensed from the "Understanding [Boring Legal Topic Here] Series".
Thanks for the info PKSebben. The person tasked with changing the toner and refilling paper will hate me

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:58 pm

Anyone know of a good Corporations supplement?

I've heard that both the E&E and Emanuel books are so out of date as be unproductive.

paradox1600

New

Post by paradox1600 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:12 am

I'm going to be taking Legislation and Regulation this semester. I haven't heard anything about supplements/study aids for the course--any recommendations?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”