CA Bar Exam / Moral Character App Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jh756

New

CA Bar Exam / Moral Character App

Post by jh756 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Are we required to submit the moral character app before we take the bar exam? It doesn't look like it, but I want to be sure before I proceed. I have multiple negative marks on my credit. Everything's paid, and I realize that I probably don't have a problem, but I was looking over my credit report last night and noticed that everything negative will drop within 6 months of the first bar exam I'm eligible to take. Assuming I take that and pass, can I just wait to submit to the moral character portion until everything's gone? Would be much better to wait 6 months than two years to resubmit just in case..

adonai

Silver

Re: CA Bar Exam / Moral Character App

Post by adonai » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Moral char app takes 6+ months to get approved, and you can't get admitted to practice until you pass it. So yes, you can wait, but you'll also have to wait however long it takes in order to practice.

TheGreatFish

New

Re: CA Bar Exam / Moral Character App

Post by TheGreatFish » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:01 pm

I can't recall at the moment, but it's possible that you'll be asked to report any negative credit history you've had, even if it no longer shows up on your credit report. It would be a good idea to at least start the application now so you can see what type of information you'll have to report. It would be an awful surprise if you waited 6 months for the negative history to fall off your report only to find that the bar wants you to report that information regardless.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”