Contemplating Withdrawing Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PotLuck

Bronze

Re: Contemplating Withdrawing

Post by PotLuck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:23 am

Hey Jose,

I'm a current 1L at a T2. I just wanted to let you know I know exactly how you feel. What I would do is start outlining if you haven't done so already. Before I started outlining I was constantly lost or disorientated. I read cases and took notes but found the big picture utterly confusing. I started outlining for my con law class over the weekend and I can safely say that it may have been the most clarifying ordeal I've had yet. Outlining allows you to take your notes and compare it against the syllabus to help get at least some sort of idea of the overarching theme. I'm not saying it will solve all of your academic needs but it should help a lot. To be fair, I'm not sure it will help with your motivation however. I wouldn't worry so much about not making "law friends" yet; you have 2 1/2 more years of opportunities to do so and if nothing else TLS will be your friend!

Anyway props to TLS for being so understanding and honest in this thread.

You're not alone, just keep swimming.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 am

Going to the T3 was a mistake in the first place and a relatively low cost one it sounds like. Take this opportunity to abandon ship, earn some money, retake the LSAT and go to a school that can actually get you a job. Once you have your first semester of grades in the bag, you close off a huge amount of doors.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 am

Drop out. The reality is that well south of 50% of TTT grads graduate with any kind of long-term employment, whether at a law firm, in compliance, Assistant Manager of Retail Store, or as HR Staff I. Even if you try your hardest at a TTT, you will most likely end up with lots of debt and work at a non-JD job you coulda had w/three years of post-UG work experience.

If you are not taking Fall 1L seriously, the most important semester of law school, you are shooting yourself in the foot for getting a 1L summer gig.

Drop out, look for jobs starting this week, and its easy enough to delete LS from your resume and explain away a summer and a few months in the Fall as searching for jobs ITE.

EDIT: Why? I go to such a school. Right now on LinkedIn 80% of the c/o'ers 2013 I have are now either "Attorney at Law" or "Attorney at [Insert Person's Last Name' Law Offices." Unless going solo is OK to you, I would either kick it in gear, or if you hate LS just walk away. I have worked with solos, and I can say its either rain or drought, upper-middle class or operating out of the dude's house/apartment and meeting in coffee shops.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”