dealing with mid-semester burnout Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gotallanswers

Bronze

Re: dealing with mid-semester burnout

Post by Gotallanswers » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:43 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Marathon, not a sprint.
I sprint marathons

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 am

romothesavior wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:Actually I am doing very well I will be doing practice problems for my classes tomorrow for the professors to grade and give me feed back on. And I am trying to get ahead with I am succeeding at greatly so I can drill the EE and start doing practice problems and have lots of time for the memo. I do not even bring my phone with me when I study its all productivity. Median pwned will not happen to this guy
90% of your classmates say the same thing about themselves.
Yep. A lot of people think they're right on course and then they get their comeuppance when grades come in.

Also, I think how hard someone works from August-October/January-March is less predictive of how well someone does than LSAT score. It makes very little difference.
as someone who hasnt worked harder than anyone else, but has a high LSAT, i very much hope this is true

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:59 am

^its not. If it is I'm going to cry

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:48 am

Gotallanswers wrote:^its not. If it is I'm going to cry
Yeah bro, just dismiss all the people who actually went through law school. Sounds like you know it all.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 am

Last edited by bruinfan10 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:27 pm

OP again: I've mostly rested the last couple days (strategic command is my game of choice), but taken a bit of time (just 4-5 hours nothing insane) to try and shore up the first half. Admittedly, I have two midterms this week so I've had to make semi-outlines for that as well. On that note, I took the practice midterm and realized that I have in fact studying completely wrong. It's almost like if I had hindsight, I could've understood it completely on only a few hours of studying a day.... but at the same time I'm sort of glad that I've made the mistakes that I've made - I'd rather figure out the study methods that don't work in September than in November.... and am now trying to focus on optimal efficiency. Here's my question: premises: 1. not a special snow-flake 2. decent work ethic, but probably average w/r/t everyone else.... hence, is it possible for me to finish slightly above median, say top 1/3 or deign I ask even top 1/4 when I already feel that median will be a difficult task (and one I frankly would feel no shame with). If this is possible, what do I need to do, starting today?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:^its not. If it is I'm going to cry
Yeah bro, just dismiss all the people who actually went through law school. Sounds like you know it all.
I was one who bucked the trend a bit with that, but I'm not everyone and what you said is accurate. I had a shit LSAT and was basically median LSAT at my first school. I did well, but all of the rest of the people around me were the top LSAT kids. So, while that's all anecdotal, it's pretty obvious that the LSAT is a fair indicator like you say. A few outliers will slip through, but they probably underperformed on the LSAT (I always thought I did).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:38 pm

gaucholaw wrote:OP again: I've mostly rested the last couple days (strategic command is my game of choice), but taken a bit of time (just 4-5 hours nothing insane) to try and shore up the first half. Admittedly, I have two midterms this week so I've had to make semi-outlines for that as well. On that note, I took the practice midterm and realized that I have in fact studying completely wrong. It's almost like if I had hindsight, I could've understood it completely on only a few hours of studying a day.... but at the same time I'm sort of glad that I've made the mistakes that I've made - I'd rather figure out the study methods that don't work in September than in November.... and am now trying to focus on optimal efficiency. Here's my question: premises: 1. not a special snow-flake 2. decent work ethic, but probably average w/r/t everyone else.... hence, is it possible for me to finish slightly above median, say top 1/3 or deign I ask even top 1/4 when I already feel that median will be a difficult task (and one I frankly would feel no shame with). If this is possible, what do I need to do, starting today?
It's very difficult to say. I know people who busted their ass all day long and didn't do well. The valedictorian of my class worked her ass off and obviously did well, but I know people in the top 10% who didn't work hard at all. Some people are just naturally good at exams. You'll have to figure out what works for you. Work lots of practice exams and talk to professors about the answers you come up with and get better at answering in a manner that gets you the most points.

Dogg

Bronze

Post by Dogg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:OP again: I've mostly rested the last couple days (strategic command is my game of choice), but taken a bit of time (just 4-5 hours nothing insane) to try and shore up the first half. Admittedly, I have two midterms this week so I've had to make semi-outlines for that as well. On that note, I took the practice midterm and realized that I have in fact studying completely wrong. It's almost like if I had hindsight, I could've understood it completely on only a few hours of studying a day.... but at the same time I'm sort of glad that I've made the mistakes that I've made - I'd rather figure out the study methods that don't work in September than in November.... and am now trying to focus on optimal efficiency. Here's my question: premises: 1. not a special snow-flake 2. decent work ethic, but probably average w/r/t everyone else.... hence, is it possible for me to finish slightly above median, say top 1/3 or deign I ask even top 1/4 when I already feel that median will be a difficult task (and one I frankly would feel no shame with). If this is possible, what do I need to do, starting today?
It's very difficult to say. I know people who busted their ass all day long and didn't do well. The valedictorian of my class worked her ass off and obviously did well, but I know people in the top 10% who didn't work hard at all. Some people are just naturally good at exams. You'll have to figure out what works for you. Work lots of practice exams and talk to professors about the answers you come up with and get better at answering in a manner that gets you the most points.
Practicing for exams is the key part. A lot of people think if they spend a lot of time understanding the material and prepping for class, they are guaranteed a good grade such as with undergrad. Learn how to take exams >

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 am

Dogg wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Practicing for exams is the key part. A lot of people think if they spend a lot of time understanding the material and prepping for class, they are guaranteed a good grade such as with undergrad. Learn how to take exams >
I think taking practice exams is a flame really. But I think this highlights how hard it is to distill a recipe for success that has any universal application. You need to find out what works for you, refine and adapt your technique as you discover what works or what doesn't and try to tune out the noise, that insufferable noise, of law school as to what you should be doing, people's perceived tricks of the trade, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”