3L Bar Company and Being Cheap Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SEngland

Bronze

3L Bar Company and Being Cheap

Post by SEngland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:40 pm

I am looking to take the bar in a state that does not offer Themis.

I got a stipend from my firm to spend on the bar but, obviously I would like to hold on to some of that if possible.

Does anyone know of any good ways to negotiate pricing for Barbri or Kaplan? I am a pretty big self starter (see LSAT studying) and did not take a class or have a tutor for the LSAT.

Is Barbri worth the inflated price? or will Kaplan do?

Gorki

Silver

Re: 3L Bar Company and Being Cheap

Post by Gorki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:10 pm

I would ask some recent grads in your jurisdiction, but rumor has it that you can get a deal if you negotiate with the actual reps... By that I mean legit BARBRI employees and not just the student temps that collect your CC info at a table at da lawl skoo.

Obviously success rates will vary, but I know people w/o firm payments or any jobs lined up that leveraged cheaper BARBRI. Not sure if Kaplan plays that game too or not.

SEngland

Bronze

Re: 3L Bar Company and Being Cheap

Post by SEngland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Gorki wrote:I would ask some recent grads in your jurisdiction, but rumor has it that you can get a deal if you negotiate with the actual reps... By that I mean legit BARBRI employees and not just the student temps that collect your CC info at a table at da lawl skoo.

Obviously success rates will vary, but I know people w/o firm payments or any jobs lined up that leveraged cheaper BARBRI. Not sure if Kaplan plays that game too or not.

I was briefly looking into self studying but I don't think I have the stones to pull that off. It seems way too risky and if I would fail I would have no choice but to kick my own ass.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”