Length of law review articles Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MarkRenton

Bronze

Length of law review articles

Post by MarkRenton » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:24 pm

As a recent graduate I've thought about sending some of my seminar papers out to law reviews and other journals in hopes of publishing. What's the general minimum accepted length of an article to qualify as a law review article? While many (most?) articles are incredibly verbose and far exceed the preferable length, it seems like one should shoot for at least 20K words, including footnotes. Would everyone with knowledge on this agree? I've also seemed some evidence that maybe 15K is sufficient. Any thoughts or observations are appreciated.

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: Length of law review articles

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:18 pm

MarkRenton wrote:As a recent graduate I've thought about sending some of my seminar papers out to law reviews and other journals in hopes of publishing. What's the general minimum accepted length of an article to qualify as a law review article? While many (most?) articles are incredibly verbose and far exceed the preferable length, it seems like one should shoot for at least 20K words, including footnotes. Would everyone with knowledge on this agree? I've also seemed some evidence that maybe 15K is sufficient. Any thoughts or observations are appreciated.

Sorry I dont have a word count, but 99% of the submissions I read were between 30-40 pages.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Are you referring to student notes or comments?

Addendum: I'm hoping not to publish an actual article, not a note or comment.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Are you referring to student notes or comments?

Addendum: I'm hoping not to publish an actual article, not a note or comment.

I am talking full articles from professors.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:As a recent graduate I've thought about sending some of my seminar papers out to law reviews and other journals in hopes of publishing. What's the general minimum accepted length of an article to qualify as a law review article? While many (most?) articles are incredibly verbose and far exceed the preferable length, it seems like one should shoot for at least 20K words, including footnotes. Would everyone with knowledge on this agree? I've also seemed some evidence that maybe 15K is sufficient. Any thoughts or observations are appreciated.

Sorry I dont have a word count, but 99% of the submissions I read were between 30-40 pages.
That's single spaced, TNR 12 pt font w/ 10pt footnotes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 pm

I usually like to see around 20k. 15k is probably ok, depending on the above the line/below the line break down.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:07 am

Ok great, thanks to both of y'all. That's very helpful.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:49 am

Class of 2013 here too. I've got 2 articles recently accepted for publication (not notes) and both were only like 35 pages double spaced.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Void wrote:Class of 2013 here too. I've got 2 articles recently accepted for publication (not notes) and both were only like 35 pages double spaced.
Congrats! Would you mind letting me know your word count? Also were they accepted at a flagship journal or a secondary journal? I ask because it seems as if secondary journals require fewer words, on average. When did you send your articles out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 pm

All over the place from my experience. On my journal, we had ones that were 20 pages single spaced to 60 pages. Length didn't matter, only content did. Some journals will specifically have slots for shorter pieces.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:37 am

MarkRenton wrote:
Void wrote:Class of 2013 here too. I've got 2 articles recently accepted for publication (not notes) and both were only like 35 pages double spaced.
Congrats! Would you mind letting me know your word count? Also were they accepted at a flagship journal or a secondary journal? I ask because it seems as if secondary journals require fewer words, on average. When did you send your articles out?
If I remember I will check the word count later today. Both are secondary journals, but one article was accepted by 3 Law Reviews from third-tier schools. I went with a secondary journal from a better school, that was also more geographically appropriate for the article. I sent them both out about a week before graduation because expresso access was still free while I was a student.

Edit: One article is 11,500 words. The other is 12,000.

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am

Void wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
If I remember I will check the word count later today. Both are secondary journals, but one article was accepted by 3 Law Reviews from third-tier schools. I went with a secondary journal from a better school, that was also more geographically appropriate for the article. I sent them both out about a week before graduation because expresso access was still free while I was a student.

Edit: One article is 11,500 words. The other is 12,000.
Fantastic. Thanks so much. I really appreciate this

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”