Incoming 0L w/ transfer questions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbf

New

Incoming 0L w/ transfer questions

Post by jbf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 am

I'm an incoming 0L (164 LSAT; 3.5 GPA from a public ivy). Going to a T-30 school and hoping to transfer up next year ideally to CCN. What kind of grades to I need in 1L for this to be realistic?

buddingjd

New

Re: Incoming 0L w/ transfer questions

Post by buddingjd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 am

jbf wrote:I'm an incoming 0L (164 LSAT; 3.5 GPA from a public ivy). Going to a T-30 school and hoping to transfer up next year ideally to CCN. What kind of grades to I need in 1L for this to be realistic?
No. Don't go into LS planning to transfer.

jbf

New

Post by jbf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 am

buddingjd wrote:
jbf wrote:I'm an incoming 0L (164 LSAT; 3.5 GPA from a public ivy). Going to a T-30 school and hoping to transfer up next year ideally to CCN. What kind of grades to I need in 1L for this to be realistic?
I'd be perfectly happy graduating from the school I plan to attend -- I'm just curious.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 am

You likely must be top 10%. If you want to go to CCN, retake.

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 am

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 am

I know people barely outside the 10% mark who were rejected (one of whom has personal connections to the adcoms at one of those schools)

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52 am

95% chance you won't be in a position to transfer. Possibly the most infuriating question a 0L can ask.

buddingjd

New

Post by buddingjd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:55 am

Holynorth wrote:
buddingjd wrote:
Absolutely unhelpful. I'm not even sure why you wasted your time posting.

For Columbia, aim for 5-6%, top 7-10% should get you a pretty good chance at CN. If you want to be on lock, aim for top 1%. The higher you are, the more likely your chances.
My comment was actually far more helpful than yours.

jbf

New

Post by jbf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Holynorth wrote:
buddingjd wrote:

For Columbia, aim for 5-6%, top 7-10% should get you a pretty good chance at CN. If you want to be on lock, aim for top 1%. The higher you are, the more likely your chances.
Thank you! Very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Holynorth wrote:
buddingjd wrote:

DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL WITH EVEN AN IOTA OF A PLAN TO TRANSFER

buddingjd

New

Post by buddingjd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 pm

jbf wrote:
Holynorth wrote:
buddingjd wrote:

Thank you! Very helpful.
Would have actually been helpful if person had said "you have the same chance of transferring as if you rolled a 20-sided die hoping for one outcome." Every person going to your T-30 plans to be top 5%. You are not a special snowflake.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm

I've always thought the TLS "don't go with the intent to transfer" mantra was a little misguided. I would say that you should certainly plan for a transfer from day one, but don't rely on it, because there's a >90% chance that you will not have the opportunity. But going in with this sort of mentality might push you to work your ass off your 1L year (which still is no guarantee of good grades) and, more importantly, to get close with your first semester professors (the most likely choices to write your letters of recommendation for transfer).

Either way, the typical TLS "don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from" response is spot on, so make sure this is the right school for you before you pull the trigger. Good luck.

jbf

New

Post by jbf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I've always thought the TLS "don't go with the intent to transfer" mantra was a little misguided. I would say that you should certainly plan for a transfer from day one, but don't rely on it, because there's a >90% chance that you will not have the opportunity. But going in with this sort of mentality might push you to work your ass off your 1L year (which still is no guarantee of good grades) and, more importantly, to get close with your first semester professors (the most likely choices to write your letters of recommendation for transfer). Either way, the TLS "don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from" mantra is spot on, so make sure this is the right school for you before you pull the trigger.

Good luck.
Thanks for the solid, balanced advice. As mentioned, I'd definitely be happy graduating from the school I plan to attend but, if possible, would definitely try to transfer up. I'm not counting on it, but I do think it counts a lot for motivation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:47 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint_Seer

New

Post by Saint_Seer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I've always thought the TLS "don't go with the intent to transfer" mantra was a little misguided. I would say that you should certainly plan for a transfer from day one, but don't rely on it, because there's a >90% chance that you will not have the opportunity. But going in with this sort of mentality might push you to work your ass off your 1L year (which still is no guarantee of good grades) and, more importantly, to get close with your first semester professors (the most likely choices to write your letters of recommendation for transfer).

Either way, the typical TLS "don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from" response is spot on, so make sure this is the right school for you before you pull the trigger. Good luck.
Agreed 100%. There's nothing wrong with having a plan to transfer if you're perfectly content with graduating from the school you go to your first year. So long as you recognize that there is literally a 90% chance you won't be able to, anyway.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm

jbf wrote:I'd be perfectly happy graduating from the school I plan to attend -- I'm just curious.
Honestly, people who say this often would rather be at the school they intend to transfer into. If you're not okay with your current school, retake the LSAT. If you are okay with your current school, get the best grades you can and don't worry about transferring until late in 1L.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Take a year off to retake/reapply. It's not too late to back out now, in fact, this is the ideal time! A T30 school will offer a very slim possibility of financial success. More likely than not, you're going to end up in a position that will pay you no more than if you got a job just with your BA and you're either wasting savings/parents' money or going into debt. It's not worth it (unless you're going for free).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whynat

New

Post by whynat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Top 5%.

Anything lower and you'll be waiting until August to hear back.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:38 pm

whynat wrote:Top 5%.

Anything lower and you'll be waiting until August to hear back.
Ahem... even people in the top 5% are still waiting.

jbf

New

Post by jbf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

cinephile wrote:Take a year off to retake/reapply. It's not too late to back out now, in fact, this is the ideal time! A T30 school will offer a very slim possibility of financial success. More likely than not, you're going to end up in a position that will pay you no more than if you got a job just with your BA and you're either wasting savings/parents' money or going into debt. It's not worth it (unless you're going for free).
I'm more than 5 years out of undergrad, have already had a different career and know that I want to pursue law.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:26 pm

jbf wrote:
cinephile wrote:Take a year off to retake/reapply. It's not too late to back out now, in fact, this is the ideal time! A T30 school will offer a very slim possibility of financial success. More likely than not, you're going to end up in a position that will pay you no more than if you got a job just with your BA and you're either wasting savings/parents' money or going into debt. It's not worth it (unless you're going for free).
I'm more than 5 years out of undergrad, have already had a different career and know that I want to pursue law.
And your point is? One more year is nothing to go to the law school you actually want to go to

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
jbf wrote:
And your point is? One more year is nothing to go to the law school you actually want to go to
Plus going to a better school will give you a better chance of actually getting a job as a lawyer.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 pm

What are the job prospects for incoming law students? I've heard bad things.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Do you have any idea how much easier it would be to get into a top school by retaking the LSAT than by being at the top of your class at a t30?

jbf

New

Post by jbf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:16 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Do you have any idea how much easier it would be to get into a top school by retaking the LSAT than by being at the top of your class at a t30?
I studied my ass off for the LSAT for months, while working full-time, didn't do well the first time, and buckled down and studied my ass off even more for the 164. Generally, sure, it might be easier to do that -- but personally, I'm not sure that it would be that easy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”