Secondary Journal or internships if pursuing inhouse career Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
herpderpcity

New

Secondary Journal or internships if pursuing inhouse career

Post by herpderpcity » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

I am hoping to pursue a career as in house counsel and have already interned in an insurance company. Unfortunately, I have already committed a lot of time to moot court for next year. So right now, I have been offered a secondary journal only and I don't know if I should accept it or if I should do a bunch of internships under an inhouse counsel instead.

I have no interest in working in big law. So i'm not sure which way to go because I don't believe I can handle a job, moot court, moot court board, and journal. So it really comes down to experience or journal.

PLEASE HELP.

I have to give an answer soon.

Diamond

Re: Secondary Journal or internships if pursuing inhouse career

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Accept but just do a really shitty job.

herpderpcity

New

Post by herpderpcity » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:22 pm

If I accept, I will make sure to make the most of it and go for an editor position to show something to the employers.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:23 pm

herpderpcity wrote:If I accept, I will make sure to make the most of it and go for an editor position to show something to the employers.
Nothing but EIC makes a difference.

herpderpcity

New

Post by herpderpcity » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm

True. I was thinking the same thing. However, I was contemplating not even accepting the journal since its not LR and I have little interest in doing biglaw, that way when I interview for in-house positions, I can say, "I have substantial experience working in the corporate environment" and not be a generic law student that has no exposure to working for a company.

crouton62

New

Post by crouton62 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Most companies aren't looking to hire in-house counsel fresh from school. So instead of asking what resume stuff might look good for in-house, ask what will make you a more desirable candidate to firms. I know you said you don't have much interest in BigLaw, but that's where most larger, reputable companies hire their in-house counsel from.

Most firms have that "journal/moot court experience preferred" caveat. You have moot court so maybe the answer is still internships. But unless you have connections/are looking to smaller companies who maybe won't care as much about hiring folks with firm experience, you need to tailor your resume to/plan to get some firm experience before in-house jobs start to become a more real possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”