multiple choice vs essay Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swtlilsoni

Bronze

multiple choice vs essay

Post by swtlilsoni » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Deciding on professors now. For evidence, one prof gives a multiple choice exam and the other gives essay/short answer. Both are good profs. Since 'which test format is easier' is too subjective, my question is which types of students do well in multiple choice and which types of students do well with essay?

nevdash

Bronze

Re: multiple choice vs essay

Post by nevdash » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Multiple choice: Students who think very mechanically, pay close attention to detail and don't rush
Essay: Students who write well and put in the extra work to understand the big picture of the course and how topics fit together

Those skillsets obviously aren't mutually exclusive. You can be good at both kinds of test or bad at both.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:05 pm

nevdash wrote:Multiple choice: Students who think very mechanically, pay close attention to detail and don't rush
Essay: Students who write well and put in the extra work to understand the big picture of the course and how topics fit together

Those skillsets obviously aren't mutually exclusive. You can be good at both kinds of test or bad at both.

Definitely agree. Good at essay sucked at MC. Definitely would classify myself as the big picture type of guy who writes pretty well under a lot of time pressure.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
nevdash wrote:Multiple choice: Students who think very mechanically, pay close attention to detail and don't rush

Definitely agree. Good at essay sucked at MC. Definitely would classify myself as the big picture type of guy who writes pretty well under a lot of time pressure.
My civ pro exam was multiple choice but you had to explain your answers. If you picked the wrong answer but explained why in a good way, you could get more points than someone who picked the right answer but didn't explain it well. My professor was an evil genius.

OP, I think it's really just personal preference. I would inquire as to which professor was more well-liked than how his or her exam was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”