Writing Papers Easier Than Exams? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LSL

Gold

Writing Papers Easier Than Exams?

Post by LSL » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Just wondering how people feel about classes where the entire grade for the class depends on a final paper compared to a class where the entire thing is dependent on an in-class exam. I thought I could load up on these paper classes to get some nice grades, but I've heard they're actually pretty intensive. Is that the case? I'm guessing it depends on the professor, but just wondering if there actually was a pattern of these being fairly challenging classes.
Last edited by LSL on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Writing Papers Easier Than Exam?

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Im going into 2L and it sounds like you are too.

Theres a grade book at my school that discloses previous class's distributions. Im guessing your school doesn't have that?

For me, even though I kill it on open book issue spotters, I loaded up on seminars with papers because the curves are ridiculously stupid (3.5+ish). For me, that sealed the deal.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Procrastinating writing a paper is worse than procrastinating studying for an exam. Both in terms of guilt and performance.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, if it's based on performance alone, I should take closed book issue spotters. I have had 3 classes like that and received an A in each. My school doesn't curve differently depending on the type or size of class, so I get no advantage from that. It works out the best compromise is open book classes with a lot of practice exams available.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 pm

oh dear god no, i'm never again taking a paper class.

i like short in-class exams you can cram for in 1-2 days. i don't do well, but it wasn't like i was gonna. take-homes and papers are just painful, and my work product is still shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:20 pm

soj wrote:oh dear god no, i'm never again taking a paper class.

i like short in-class exams you can cram for in 1-2 days. i don't do well, but it wasn't like i was gonna. take-homes and papers are just painful, and my work product is still shit.
Exactly! Much better to give it a good, solid 2 days of studying and crank out your answers in 3 hours rather than write a couple drafts of a paper and still find yourself dissatisfied with it.

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm surprised more aren't all about the papers. I just really hated having to rush through exams last year. Having to do papers would drag things out further, but I like writing and not feeling like I've just word-vomited everywhere, hoping that I discussed what the prof wanted. On that note, I'd imagine you have more opportunities to get feedback from professors which I'd think would have to be a plus right?

And thanks for the heads up Nova, I'll have to see if my school has a gradebook.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:27 pm

TLS wrote:I'd imagine you have more opportunities to get feedback from professors which I'd think would have to be a plus right?
lol, like you're going to write anything ahead of time and have an opportunity for feedback.

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 pm

LeDique wrote:
TLS wrote:I'd imagine you have more opportunities to get feedback from professors which I'd think would have to be a plus right?
lol, like you're going to write anything ahead of time and have an opportunity for feedback.
Ha, good point. Also starting to think it might be shitty to have to turn in a paper toward the end of the semester. I still have some exams I'll have to be simultaneously studying for...

goodolgil

Silver

Re: Writing Papers Easier Than Exams?

Post by goodolgil » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Easier to get a good grade in a paper class, but you always feel like shit for not working on it and a lot of the time you end up having to work on it after the semester/finals are over which really sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”