Vent Your Bar Examination Frustrations Here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BlameTrain

New

Vent Your Bar Examination Frustrations Here

Post by BlameTrain » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:07 pm

I figured not everyone can be gliding through this process (even those who seem to have no troubles with the MBE on the other thread), so put your frustrations here if you wish. I'm sure it would be helpful to other who don't post and are suffering in silence to know that they're not alone.

Pretty sure I hit rock bottom today memorization and recall wise with three substantive areas to go. I'm also sick of the BarBri scare you shitless into studying mode. I do that quite effectively on my own. A ridiculously easy set of practice MBE questions here and there would have also been nice to counterbalance the "OMG, what is this?"/"holy shit I don't know this nearly as well as I thought" reactions I have every time I do a set.

c3pO4

Silver

Re: Vent Your Bar Examination Frustrations Here

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:14 pm

BlameTrain wrote:I figured not everyone can be gliding through this process (even those who seem to have no troubles with the MBE on the other thread), so put your frustrations here if you wish. I'm sure it would be helpful to other who don't post and are suffering in silence to know that they're not alone.

Pretty sure I hit rock bottom today memorization and recall wise with three substantive areas to go. I'm also sick of the BarBri scare you shitless into studying mode. I do that quite effectively on my own. A ridiculously easy set of practice MBE questions here and there would have also been nice to counterbalance the "OMG, what is this?"/"holy shit I don't know this nearly as well as I thought" reactions I have every time I do a set.
i spent the last week on cloud 9 after killing the simulated MBE and this morning got > 15% lower than target on a MPQ2 set. totally derailed me. 0/7 property questions. at this point im pretty sure i will have forgotten everything we've studied in the first month by the time it hits mid-july.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 pm

I like this thread.

MPQ sets continuously kill my confidence and make me dread this entire process even more.

Often can't finish sets on time (especially set 5s and 6s) because i find myself starting at a question for several minutes trying to figure out wtf they are trying to go for.

however, when i do "real" mbe questions (from the strategies and tactics book), I tend to fly through them much faster.

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:36 pm

I hate this exam. How in the world does this exam bear on my potential and capacity as a lawyer? A monkey could regurgitate black letter law from the 20 subjects they want us to handle. The ONLY portion of this sorry excuse for a minimum competency exam that actually has some relevance to practice is the Performance Test. Aside from that, this exam is wasting away 2 wonderful summer days.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm

So stressed. I feel like I am growing stupider by the day. At this rate I won't even be able to spell my name on the Scan-Tron sheet on exam day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 pm

I have a few things. First, I thoght I did ok on the simulated MBE (120)...not great but not bad, and then come to find out that some kid from my school who was on academic probation at one point, got a 153. I'm almost certain he's lying, but it still pisses me off.

I'm having anxiety attacks for the first time in my life.

My mom went to visit my sister in Chicago and had the ass to send me pictures of them taking a speed boat tour. I'm balls deep in land sale contracts, and she sends me a picture of her having, what appeared to be, the time of her life. Jerk.

AND possibly worst of all, I've hardly seen my fiance in the last month. I make it a point to at least see her for a little bit each day, but it's pretty much only when I am on a study break and limited to a short walk around the block.

man I hope I pass this thing because I don't want to go through this crap again in a few months.

I feel better now.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm in the middle of a thousand boring topics and have no motivation. Property can go fuck itself. I'm soooo far behind. Ugh.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:01 pm

15/36 on Property Set 5 and I'm sorta surprised I got that many right.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:51 pm

So behind that I am legitimately worried about passing. How I'm so behind is beyond me because it's not like I've actually had a life the past month and a half. BLAH.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm

goodolgil wrote:15/36 on Property Set 5 and I'm sorta surprised I got that many right.
Bust out the big outline book and read through whatever it is you're struggling with. It helped me out a little. I bombed the first assigned set and got something like a 7 out of 18, but then pulled a 15 on the next one after reading through the big outline. Haven't done anywhere near that well since, but I think it was worth the time to go through the more detailed outline for property.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:31 pm

Yeah, I'm noticing that the things I get wrong are the ones I'm certain I got right, and it's always because they slipped an exception into the problem. Reading through the outline for exceptions.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I told someone today that the extent of my even going outside anymore was to take the dogs out. I shortcutted by not reading outlines for several subjects and it really shows. I don't know what I'm going to do because It's not like I suddenly have the time to read them.

BlameTrain

New

Post by BlameTrain » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:I told someone today that the extent of my even going outside anymore was to take the dogs out. I shortcutted by not reading outlines for several subjects and it really shows. I don't know what I'm going to do because It's not like I suddenly have the time to read them.
If you're taking BarBri, I wouldn't get too bogged down in the CMR. I have found that any pissy questions they ask in sets that weren't covered in the class outline supplemented by class notes are from areas not covered extensively on the bar . . . probably not worth the hassle of trying to go all out at the expense of knowing the heavily tested areas inside and out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 am

I hate how I cannot recall anything from property, even though I keep focusing on it.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 am

Agoraphobia wrote:I told someone today that the extent of my even going outside anymore was to take the dogs out. I shortcutted by not reading outlines for several subjects and it really shows. I don't know what I'm going to do because It's not like I suddenly have the time to read them.
I know you're doing Themis, so I would just at least try to read through the handouts for the subjects you didn't read the full outlines for, but the smaller outlines are definitely manageable to read in an hour or two. I've noticed Themis's outlines are seriously WAY over-detailed (case law citations in Con Law...fuck that, and fuck the 123-page Civ Pro outline for my jurisdiction). I found the Civ Pro handout, for example, to be so much more manageable and understandable (Jeffries rocks!). I hope that helps. You're not alone.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:25 pm

The way CA weights the different portions of the exam is ridiculous. The MBE, which tests the most relevant parts of the law, is worth less than the portion of the exam that tests TTT shit like community property, trusts, and wills. If I fail because I didn't study the intricacies of fucking divorce law carefully enough, I'm going to rage.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:29 pm

$100 extra to be able to use my computer. Go fuck yourselves.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:$100 extra to be able to use my computer. Go fuck yourselves.

...what? Such bullshit.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:$100 extra to be able to use my computer. Go fuck yourselves.

...what? Such bullshit.
VA charged $125...its really for the seat license to exam4. You'd think the state could just buy the damn software and spread the costs out better.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

...what? Such bullshit.
VA charged $125...its really for the seat license to exam4. You'd think the state could just buy the damn software and spread the costs out better.
I don't believe for a second that the state actually pays that much per person.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

...what? Such bullshit.
I don't believe for a second that the state actually pays that much per person.
We had to paypal it direct to the company. Apparently they send employees to the site on exam day to support the software if anyone has a problem which probably contributes some to the cost.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Just got a Barbri graded essay back. 8/25. L-O-Fucking-L. Best comment: "You should state the rule concisely"...well maybe I would if a) you actually taught me the damn rule or b) the rule actually exists in the CMR

Such bullshit.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Seconding on the examsoft bullshit. $90 to use my own computer to the Bar Association and then $100 for the license? Fuck you very much.

rnf1292

New

Post by rnf1292 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm

I just love that my state just added FOUR new subjects and that we have no idea how they will be tested!! YAY LIFE!!

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:12 pm

rnf1292 wrote:I just love that my state just added FOUR new subjects and that we have no idea how they will be tested!! YAY LIFE!!
You win ..... hands down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”