How many firms should a 2L apply to? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
punkyg0608

Bronze

How many firms should a 2L apply to?

Post by punkyg0608 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 pm

When it comes to OCI bids and direct sends, how many firms should you apply to? I'm going to apply to all big and mid firms in the city where I want to end up (St. Louis), and then all big firms in the closest big cities (except Chicago, which might hurt my credibility of wanting to end up in STL). But should I apply to firms in cities that I've never visited and that I have no desire to work in after graduation? I don't want to waste my time and their time, but I'd be happy to work anywhere next summer as long as it doesn't hurt my chances of ending up back in St. Louis. My biggest fear is striking out at OCI, struggling to find a job in St. Louis, and then wishing I had applied to more firms. Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit: For example, Milwaukee? Cincinnati? Okalahoma City? Chatanooga? How far is too far?

cinephile

Gold

Re: How many firms should a 2L apply to?

Post by cinephile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 pm

You should use up all of your bids. Absolutely all of them.

In small cities where you have no ties, those would likely be wasted bids. But I guess if you used up all the St. Louis ones, might as well target the next closest cities. Even if you didn't want to stay at the firm in city X forever and ever, it helps to have an SA because it's proof on your resume that at least some other firm liked you once (if they ended up giving you an offer) and it's $ for your 2L summer. And yes, mass mail everywhere.

There are a few diversity fairs in the Midwest, definitely there's one in I want to say Kansas City? Maybe it's St. Louis, not 100% sure and also one in Chicago. And check out other ones in area.

Also, the cities you've listed sound too far from St. Louis and too small to be plausible unless you're attending school in those cities.

Also, apply to firms in New York.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:26 pm

All of them. What is your marginal cost?

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the advice! My costs in terms of time and money are minimal. The problem is that I would be basically committing myself to 41 interviews in a 3 day span. I know that I won't get interviews for all of them, but I do have high grades (top 15%) and I don't want to overcommit. Then again, I really have no idea how selective these firms actually are. Does this change anyone's opinion? I appreciate the help!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:Thanks for the advice! My costs in terms of time and money are minimal. The problem is that I would be basically committing myself to 41 interviews in a 3 day span. I know that I won't get interviews for all of them, but I do have high grades (top 15%) and I don't want to overcommit. Then again, I really have no idea how selective these firms actually are. Does this change anyone's opinion? I appreciate the help!
They probably won't give you 41 interviews. Never mind good grades, often you have to get from one hotel room to another and it might be on a different floor and involve travel time, etc. and for that reason alone we had to have a 20 minute break after each interview. Then there was like a lunch break too and then it all ended at 4:30. So how many 20 minute segments can you get in like an 8 hour period, and then imagine a 20 minute break after each interview, and then you know what your max would be. It's honestly not even a big deal. In some ways its better because you've learned so much from mistakes in the prior interviews and just practicing your responses to questions that it'll just come out more easily as time goes on.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:23 pm

All the firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”