MPRE Study Guides and Timeline? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chrisbru

Gold

MPRE Study Guides and Timeline?

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 am

Hey all,

I plan on taking the MPRE on August 17 this year, and figured it is probably about time to start thinking about studying. Does anyone have a good study guide to use? How many hours did you spend studying for the exam?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: MPRE Study Guides and Timeline?

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 am

lol. Check back around August 15.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 am

1. Sign up for Barbri's free course
2. Aug. 15 - watch the lecture video. It's sorta funny
3. Aug 16 - take 2 practice tests and go over them
4. Take the exam and pass in all jxs

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

Just watch the BarBri video the day before and do some practice questions.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:44 am

Lol ok sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 am

Whatever, you do, put in a semi-good faith study effort. I had to retake in April beacause I "watched" the Kaplan video while reading Deadspin and other stuff the first go around. Watching the video, taking and reviewing the PTs ought to be sufficient for an 85.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

The answer is different depending on whether you did or did not have a prof responsibility course that covers this stuff, but bear in mind that's a difference between a few hours of studying and a few days of studying. (And not full days or anything.)

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 am

Give it a few days of studying. You don't need a full week or anything, but don't wait until the very last day (though many people do wait until the last day or 2 and still pass). I waited until Thursday to watch the Barbri video, Friday I did practice questions, and then Saturday was the test. I passed, but just barely. It would have been much safer to dedicate an extra day or 2 to doing practice Q's. Also, I hadn't taken professional responsibility at that point, so nothing was familiar to me at that point.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

If you've had a legal ethics class in LS, the BarBri video and free book's condensed outline the day before the exam will probably be fine. Just keep in mind it would suck to fail, so take it seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Reinhardt wrote:If you've had a legal ethics class in LS, the BarBri video and free book's condensed outline the day before the exam will probably be fine. Just keep in mind it would suck to fail, so take it seriously.
I haven't taken PR yet. My last day of work was going to be the 16th of August, but I may bump it to the 9th so I can do a few half days of studying.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:If you've had a legal ethics class in LS, the BarBri video and free book's condensed outline the day before the exam will probably be fine. Just keep in mind it would suck to fail, so take it seriously.
I haven't taken PR yet. My last day of work was going to be the 16th of August, but I may bump it to the 9th so I can do a few half days of studying.
In this case read the conviser mini outline. the video itself won't be sufficient.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 pm

It really depends on your ability to take standardized tests, IMO. The substance of the MPRE can feel sort of hard but 90% of the time you can narrow it down to a couple of choices just based on common sense, and if you do that you'll get enough right to pass easily. It's sort of like the bar, relatively high substantive difficulty but a very low standard of competence needed.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm

If you neeeeeeeeed to pass. Spend a couple days watching lectures, doing PT's.

If are rising 3L, just wing this shit. It's easy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:It really depends on your ability to take standardized tests, IMO. The substance of the MPRE can feel sort of hard but 90% of the time you can narrow it down to a couple of choices just based on common sense, and if you do that you'll get enough right to pass easily. It's sort of like the bar, relatively high substantive difficulty but a very low standard of competence needed.
That's actually reassuring. I've always been great at standardized tests. Thanks.
Desert Fox wrote:If you neeeeeeeeed to pass. Spend a couple days watching lectures, doing PT's.

It isn't imperative I pass this time, but if I don't, I'll have to miss a home football game to re-take it. In my state we have to pass the MPRE before a certain date to sit for the bar, and this year the spring 2014 one isn't early enough.

Silverback

New

Post by Silverback » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Make sure you at least refresh your memory in some manner if you have had a Professional Responsibility course. I scheduled my first MPRE during a semester where I was very busy. As a result, I didn't study at all and failed the first time. From what I can tell, my professor didn't even cover a lot of things that were on the MPRE. Therefore, I can say that using one of the free courses offered by Barbi or Kaplan is a good idea. I went with the Kaplan program, and it gave me all the information I needed to know. I watched the video and took notes, but I really didn't do much else. I may have done a few practice problems at the most. I ended up passing on the second try.

Bottom line: If the information isn't fresh in your mind or your professor for your ethics class wasn't the best, it is a good idea to at least get a crash lecture to bring you up to speed. By preparing in this manner, you will be just fine, and it shouldn't take you long.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:36 am

chrisbru wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:It really depends on your ability to take standardized tests, IMO. The substance of the MPRE can feel sort of hard but 90% of the time you can narrow it down to a couple of choices just based on common sense, and if you do that you'll get enough right to pass easily. It's sort of like the bar, relatively high substantive difficulty but a very low standard of competence needed.
That's actually reassuring. I've always been great at standardized tests. Thanks.
Desert Fox wrote:If you neeeeeeeeed to pass. Spend a couple days watching lectures, doing PT's.

It isn't imperative I pass this time, but if I don't, I'll have to miss a home football game to re-take it. In my state we have to pass the MPRE before a certain date to sit for the bar, and this year the spring 2014 one isn't early enough.
Then just do about 6-8 hours studying the day before.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”