TTT(T) probably about to drop out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PrideBeforetheFall

New

TTT(T) probably about to drop out

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Any questions?

PS - not a flame

mehiguess

Bronze

Re: TTT(T) probably about to drop out

Post by mehiguess » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 pm

PrideBeforetheFall wrote:Any questions?

PS - not a flame
What happened? What school?

PrideBeforetheFall

New

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

I'll only say it's a school in the South. Bad grades (there are D's in this type of law school lol), minimal job prospects, fear of debt (30k so far for tuition/living), not "fitting in" to law school.

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Appalachian School of LOL?

PrideBeforetheFall

New

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:14 pm

One more clue - not Cooley. Even I have standards :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rmorris87

New

Post by rmorris87 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Transfer immediately or dropout. Do not spend a single penny more at a TTTT.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Why did you think it was a good idea to attend in the first place?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 pm

rmorris87 wrote:Transfer immediately or dropout. Do not spend a single penny more at a TTTT.
With bad grades, transferring isn't really an option.

OP, congratulations on your decision to drop out. Good luck with your future endeavors.

DorthyMantooth

New

Post by DorthyMantooth » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

What do you feel most contributed to your bad grades?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PrideBeforetheFall

New

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Like the famous quote on here - "I thought I was a special snowflake" who would get above average grades and make enough connections to get a job at a small law firm ("shitlaw" I suppose it's called). I was a teacher for a while and was not challenged and had no chance of promotion, so I thought I could use my experience to practice family law (which has nothing to do with education lol). I thought 50% employment gave me a coin flip chance, but I didn't realize how difficult the situation was for the 50% who were actually employed. The school I attend is definite TTT/T, but it has been around for long enough time to have decent number of alumni (who I would hope would lead me to work, but I am naturally introverted, so I don't network well). My belief was that the impact of 100k debt could be minimized through IBR. And etc.

How wrong I was . . .

PrideBeforetheFall

New

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm

DorthyMantooth wrote:What do you feel most contributed to your bad grades?
That's the million dollar question. First semester I think I was focused more on memorizing than understanding the information (closed book usually). Without giving away the school, exams usually have both multiples and essays, and I sucked at the multiples. I am a good essay writer, but now I know I am not a good thinker (doing IRAC). I went to office hours on an irregular basis, but it's not as if I often had a "burning question" I needed answered. They also strongly encourage study groups at the school. I tried it, but it was too much wasted time, so I flew solo for most of the year. Don't know what else to say. The school has a few academic dismissals each year, but I never thought I would do bad enough to be so close to that territory.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 pm

PrideBeforetheFall wrote:Like the famous quote on here - "I thought I was a special snowflake" who would get above average grades and make enough connections to get a job at a small law firm ("shitlaw" I suppose it's called). I was a teacher for a while and was not challenged and had no chance of promotion, so I thought I could use my experience to practice family law (which has nothing to do with education lol). I thought 50% employment gave me a coin flip chance, but I didn't realize how difficult the situation was for the 50% who were actually employed. The school I attend is definite TTT/T, but it has been around for long enough time to have decent number of alumni (who I would hope would lead me to work, but I am naturally introverted, so I don't network well). My belief was that the impact of 100k debt could be minimized through IBR. And etc.

How wrong I was . . .

As a self-proclaimed introvert you anticipated making enough connections to get employed? I'm curious, did you think law school would help you overcome your social challenges?

PrideBeforetheFall

New

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
PrideBeforetheFall wrote:Like the famous quote on here - "I thought I was a special snowflake" who would get above average grades and make enough connections to get a job at a small law firm ("shitlaw" I suppose it's called). I was a teacher for a while and was not challenged and had no chance of promotion, so I thought I could use my experience to practice family law (which has nothing to do with education lol). I thought 50% employment gave me a coin flip chance, but I didn't realize how difficult the situation was for the 50% who were actually employed. The school I attend is definite TTT/T, but it has been around for long enough time to have decent number of alumni (who I would hope would lead me to work, but I am naturally introverted, so I don't network well). My belief was that the impact of 100k debt could be minimized through IBR. And etc.

How wrong I was . . .

As a self-proclaimed introvert you anticipated making enough connections to get employed? I'm curious, did you think law school would help you overcome your social challenges?
Exactly. I would just say to myself "what's the point of networking at this school if you are very unlikely to acquire gainful employment?" I did some events so as to not be totally isolated, but nowhere near enough to get to know anyone well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:18 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:As a self-proclaimed introvert you anticipated making enough connections to get employed? I'm curious, did you think law school would help you overcome your social challenges?
Could I just note that "introvert" does NOT equal socially challenged?

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 pm

The first thing I realized when I quit teaching and went to law school was that pulling "teacher hours" (8x5) would result in failure. What were your honest hours(non fb, chit chatting in "study group")? It is possible to get a job out of a TTT even if you are at the bottom of the class, so if this is what you really want to do stay in school.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:As a self-proclaimed introvert you anticipated making enough connections to get employed? I'm curious, did you think law school would help you overcome your social challenges?
I don't think he meant to say that the OP is Aspie, just that being an introvert would mean that they would have a more difficult time/not comfortable reaching out to people they don't know well.

PrideBeforetheFall

New

Post by PrideBeforetheFall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 pm

shepdawg wrote:The first thing I realized when I quit teaching and went to law school was that pulling "teacher hours" (8x5) would result in failure. What were your honest hours(non fb, chit chatting in "study group")? It is possible to get a job out of a TTT even if you are at the bottom of the class, so if this is what you really want to do stay in school.
Don't know the exact amount of hours, but one thing I liked about teaching was not accessing facebook all day. During class, I never went on facebook, and did not go on this site, so usually Above the Law was my entertainment during the dull moments. After class I probably spent too much time reading cases which were non-essential (even reading the Lexis summary and matching the headnotes to the text in the book took time). Too much time also spent on outlines and not enough on actual tests.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I don't think he meant to say that the OP is Aspie, just that being an introvert would mean that they would have a more difficult time/not comfortable reaching out to people they don't know well.
Sure, that's just not what he said. I just wish people would think about the words they use. (It's just a pet peeve. Grumble grumble grumble.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”