BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clashjones87

New

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by clashjones87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:05 pm

goodolgil wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
franklinlincoln wrote:On religion, Employment Division v. Smith. Neutral on its face = rational basis.
This was the kid who brought a club to school right? (The MBE question, not that case.) I went with rational basis since it wasn't actually targeted at religion but just happened to have that effect.
I think ppl in the other thread were saying that question was experimental. I had it, but don't remember the wording of the answer choices.
I heard tons of folks who had that question. don't think it was experimental.

mrpickles

New

Post by mrpickles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 pm

clashjones87 wrote:
goodolgil wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
franklinlincoln wrote:On religion, Employment Division v. Smith. Neutral on its face = rational basis.
This was the kid who brought a club to school right? (The MBE question, not that case.) I went with rational basis since it wasn't actually targeted at religion but just happened to have that effect.
I think ppl in the other thread were saying that question was experimental. I had it, but don't remember the wording of the answer choices.
I heard tons of folks who had that question. don't think it was experimental.
I had it as well. Hoping it was not experimental, since it was easy. Neutral on face + generally applicable = RB, not targeted at religion.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:14 pm

MSPeast wrote:
Def rational basis for that

clashjones87

New

Post by clashjones87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 pm

kaiser wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Def rational basis for that
If I remember right, the question alarms whether the vixen e would be admissible not under why standard the rule would be evaluated.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am

Last edited by Joe Quincy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 am

Anybody know what we're supposed to do with all of the Barbri Books?

I'm packing up my apartment and I'm not sure if i should put them all into my boxes that are going into storage for a month or If I'll need to send them back soon? Isn't there some sort of deposit we get back if we send the books back?

jc1988

Bronze

Post by jc1988 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:37 am

tfer2222 wrote:Anybody know what we're supposed to do with all of the Barbri Books?

I'm packing up my apartment and I'm not sure if i should put them all into my boxes that are going into storage for a month or If I'll need to send them back soon? Isn't there some sort of deposit we get back if we send the books back?
go to barbri website's enrolled student center, on the left click "updates and other materials" at the bottom, then you will see a document, among others, called "BOOK RETURN FORM - SUMMER 2013".

Follow the instructions on the form, return all the books through fedex or ups and you will get your 250$ back.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:41 am

ok - for posterity. barbri is kindof flame. did 2000+ barbri Qs, studied ass off, still felt like much of the MBE was like walking into oncoming traffic on the freeway. how hard is it to just prepare us? oh just study hard and be overprepared, sail through. false. i dont feel like i failed necessarily (who knows), but it seems stupid that barbri did not really prepare us after all that work and $$$.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 am

jc1988 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:Anybody know what we're supposed to do with all of the Barbri Books?

go to barbri website's enrolled student center, on the left click "updates and other materials" at the bottom, then you will see a document, among others, called "BOOK RETURN FORM - SUMMER 2013".

Follow the instructions on the form, return all the books through fedex or ups and you will get your 250$ back.
ah yes. I guess i could have checked the Barbri site before posting. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Last edited by BCLS on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:52 pm

c3pO4 wrote:ok - for posterity. barbri is kindof flame. did 2000+ barbri Qs, studied ass off, still felt like much of the MBE was like walking into oncoming traffic on the freeway. how hard is it to just prepare us? oh just study hard and be overprepared, sail through. false. i dont feel like i failed necessarily (who knows), but it seems stupid that barbri did not really prepare us after all that work and $$$.
If you put in all that work I'm sure you'll be fine. Remember that everyone is in the same boat and the curve will work in your favor.

To be fair to BarBri, the program can only ever be reactionary. From what I've heard, this year's and last year's MBEs have been harder, with different material than what is normally tested. It takes the test prep companies some time to adjust to the changes, and meanwhile those of us who get caught in the transition period have to bank on a nice curve.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:02 pm

jml8756 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:ok - for posterity. barbri is kindof flame. did 2000+ barbri Qs, studied ass off, still felt like much of the MBE was like walking into oncoming traffic on the freeway. how hard is it to just prepare us? oh just study hard and be overprepared, sail through. false. i dont feel like i failed necessarily (who knows), but it seems stupid that barbri did not really prepare us after all that work and $$$.
If you put in all that work I'm sure you'll be fine. Remember that everyone is in the same boat and the curve will work in your favor.

To be fair to BarBri, the program can only ever be reactionary. From what I've heard, this year's and last year's MBEs have been harder, with different material than what is normally tested. It takes the test prep companies some time to adjust to the changes, and meanwhile those of us who get caught in the transition period have to bank on a nice curve.
They don't use all new questions every year, though. The average MBE score is almost exactly the same every year, within a point or two. There are a ton of previous questions embedded on the MBE that have been used in prior examinations.

I realize I keep coming off like a barbri/themis/kaplan booster or whatever, but people almost always feel like the actual MBE questions are harder on test day. Barbri's simulated MBE, simulated final exam, simulated half day, and simulated full day are all objectively more difficult than the actual MBE itself. While it might not SEEM like it, it's objectively true. All of those tests at the end barbri gives are freaking impossible. If they made them more difficult, which is what people seem to want, it would be essentially guessing on every question, which isn't helpful at all.

Part of it is the 10 experimental questions that probably throw people for a loop. Part of it is only remembering the impossible questions. Part of it is just the stress of the day. Part of it is not being able to immediately score your exam.

I think the prep companies do a remarkable job preparing students for the MBE, far of a better job than relying solely on the released real MBE questions.

clashjones87

New

Post by clashjones87 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:04 pm

farmer adverse possession question. did he get 40 acres or all 100 acres? I just remembered that I had a Barbri problem like this where the adverse possessor got only part he occupied, BUT there also happened to be a road dividing the property. here there was no such division, and now I'm curious if the answer wasn't all 100 acres.

felony murder: 1st person or 1st and 2nd person?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ninereal

New

Post by ninereal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 pm

5ky wrote:
jml8756 wrote:

They don't use all new questions every year, though. The average MBE score is almost exactly the same every year, within a point or two. There are a ton of previous questions embedded on the MBE that have been used in prior examinations.

I realize I keep coming off like a barbri/themis/kaplan booster or whatever, but people almost always feel like the actual MBE questions are harder on test day. Barbri's simulated MBE, simulated final exam, simulated half day, and simulated full day are all objectively more difficult than the actual MBE itself. While it might not SEEM like it, it's objectively true. All of those tests at the end barbri gives are freaking impossible. If they made them more difficult, which is what people seem to want, it would be essentially guessing on every question, which isn't helpful at all.

Part of it is the 10 experimental questions that probably throw people for a loop. Part of it is only remembering the impossible questions. Part of it is just the stress of the day. Part of it is not being able to immediately score your exam.

I think the prep companies do a remarkable job preparing students for the MBE, far of a better job than relying solely on the released real MBE questions.
I think not being able to immediately check makes a bigger deal than people realize - like, I did at least a few Barbri sets where I was like "holy shit, I didn't know any of that" and then I graded it and got 38/50, so I forgot about that initial feeling

Larry Tate

New

Post by Larry Tate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:40 pm

clashjones87 wrote:farmer adverse possession question. did he get 40 acres or all 100 acres? I just remembered that I had a Barbri problem like this where the adverse possessor got only part he occupied, BUT there also happened to be a road dividing the property. here there was no such division, and now I'm curious if the answer wasn't all 100 acres.

felony murder: 1st person or 1st and 2nd person?

I remember that question about the AP as saying that the guy took possession 14 years ago, but then the owner died 8 years ago and left it to his niece. I feel like I went with the niece got everything because the clock would reset when you transfer ownership. Now he would be AP a new person and no longer the original AP period.... And for the felony murder I put both people because he fired the gun to scare them, which the question said, and it caused the heart attack. I remember a practice question where a guy was in a back room during a bank robbery and had a heart attack, but he didnt even know the robbery was taking place...So that was not FM, but it said had he known and the heart attack was caused by the robbery, then it would have been FM.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Last edited by Joe Quincy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Last edited by traehekat on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

Last edited by Joe Quincy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Last edited by traehekat on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm

traehekat wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Maybe so. But then it wasn't continuous either, right?
I think it was. It said the only use in the past 8 years was occasional hiking...but thats how an owner would use heavily wooded land. It doesn't have to be continuous as in systematic.
I don't know I think you would need more than just occasionally hiking. Plus I think it is telling that the problem specifically referred to the hiking as "occasional." I could be wrong, though. I didn't study adverse possession too carefully and it's been a while since 1L Property.
You're right. Dude only got the 40 acres.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:59 pm

traehekat wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
I think it was. It said the only use in the past 8 years was occasional hiking...but thats how an owner would use heavily wooded land. It doesn't have to be continuous as in systematic.
I don't know I think you would need more than just occasionally hiking. Plus I think it is telling that the problem specifically referred to the hiking as "occasional." I could be wrong, though. I didn't study adverse possession too carefully and it's been a while since 1L Property.
I think occasional is enough if you have more continuous possession of the rest of the plot, as in the question. It wouldn't have been enough if he just wandered around someone else's heavily wooded plot once every few months without having any other occupancy of part of the land.

Pretty sure BarBri had a question like this one, except that the area actually farmed was a lot smaller in the BarBri question, and the occupier got the entire tract. That was what I based my "all 100 acres" answer off of, anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Last edited by Joe Quincy on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Good points, all.

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:42 pm

BenJ wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
I think occasional is enough if you have more continuous possession of the rest of the plot, as in the question. It wouldn't have been enough if he just wandered around someone else's heavily wooded plot once every few months without having any other occupancy of part of the land.

Pretty sure BarBri had a question like this one, except that the area actually farmed was a lot smaller in the BarBri question, and the occupier got the entire tract. That was what I based my "all 100 acres" answer off of, anyway.
I did the same Barbri question and put the equivalent of the 60/40 split and was surprised when Barbri said the adverse possessor took the whole parcel. So I said he took the whole thing.

No Mystery

New

Post by No Mystery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Can we return our books to a BarBri office? Seems like shipping them would cost a lot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”