Barbri AMP and the "additional learning" option Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Barbri AMP and the "additional learning" option

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Unfortunately I did not do the pre-course work that was assigned the week before the barbri class started, so now I am trying to play catch up by doing assignments for each night after class and also the corresponding AMP assignments from the week before. Because of this I haven't really looked at the additional learning option in the AMP modules when I get questions wrong. Is this option something that is recommended/necessary or am I taking the "do everything Barbri tells you to do" mantra too seriously?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Barbri AMP and the "additional learning" option

Post by thesealocust » Tue May 21, 2013 9:58 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Unfortunately I did not do the pre-course work that was assigned the week before the barbri class started, so now I am trying to play catch up by doing assignments for each night after class and also the corresponding AMP assignments from the week before. Because of this I haven't really looked at the additional learning option in the AMP modules when I get questions wrong. Is this option something that is recommended/necessary or am I taking the "do everything Barbri tells you to do" mantra too seriously?
About half of the people I know who skipped the pre-course work wound up failing the bar. Not a good start dude.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 pm

one guy showed up to the Barbri session I'm going to not having completed all of the pre coursework - the professor actually kicked him out of the room and said "good luck in February" when he couldn't define horizontal privity and give the situations where you need it

I thought it was a little harsh but then again everyone else thought the bar exam was important enough to do the work beforehand so I can't say I'm surprised

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 21, 2013 10:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:one guy showed up to the Barbri session I'm going to not having completed all of the pre coursework - the professor actually kicked him out of the room and said "good luck in February" when he couldn't define horizontal privity and give the situations where you need it

I thought it was a little harsh but then again everyone else thought the bar exam was important enough to do the work beforehand so I can't say I'm surprised
Since when does Barbri ask anyone attending the course to say anything in class, let alone define stuff?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue May 21, 2013 11:38 pm

(I think that was a joke.) :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:(I think that was a joke.) :wink:
Ha! I never learn...

wildhaggis

Bronze

Post by wildhaggis » Wed May 22, 2013 3:09 am

thesealocust wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:Unfortunately I did not do the pre-course work that was assigned the week before the barbri class started, so now I am trying to play catch up by doing assignments for each night after class and also the corresponding AMP assignments from the week before. Because of this I haven't really looked at the additional learning option in the AMP modules when I get questions wrong. Is this option something that is recommended/necessary or am I taking the "do everything Barbri tells you to do" mantra too seriously?
About half of the people I know who skipped the pre-course work wound up failing the bar. Not a good start dude.
Not sure if serious.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 am

wildhaggis wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Not sure if serious.
Never change, TLS

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 22, 2013 11:24 am

wildhaggis wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Not sure if serious.
Dead serious. Most people have their shit together, the bar is extremely important. But a few people insisted on phoning it in, doing something less than everything BarBRI said, taking a night or a weekend off here and there... mostly they were already unemployed, but the few who had firm gigs lined up saw them yanked away within days of failing the bar.

It was very grim.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm

So taking a day or two off here or there and not doing all the pre-class lessons significantly increases the likelihood of failure? Strange. I've never heard that, but I trust your word over most.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed May 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Every single person that I talked to in my bar review course (surprisingly) said that they had yet to do the preliminary stuff. I was pretty shocked. I am not planning on blowing it off and I understand the need to complete every single assignment.

Also, the Barbri guy (academic attorney??) that I talked to said that it was not insurmountable but that it makes life a little more difficult for that period of time. He also noted that because the course literally just started this week for me, that I have yet to experience a large Barbri workload. But yes I can imagine that taking a lax attitude toward bar prep can hurt. I got the impression that as long as you bust ass and make up whatever you miss, you should be alright as long as you're not a moron.

Kobe824

New

Post by Kobe824 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

There's gotta be a way to speed up these lectures.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Kobe824 wrote:There's gotta be a way to speed up these lectures.
Try http://www.enounce.com/myspeed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:There's gotta be a way to speed up these lectures.
Try http://www.enounce.com/myspeed
Doesn't work, I tried it. You have to use the iPhone/iPad method: --LinkRemoved-- Note: iExplorer replaced PhoneDisk mentioned in the article.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed May 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu May 23, 2013 1:06 am

I cannot tell who in this thread gets the jokes and who doesn't. But seriously obviously you have to do all the AMPs.

wildhaggis

Bronze

Post by wildhaggis » Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm

I believe this joke has run its course.
Bronte wrote:I cannot tell who in this thread gets the jokes and who doesn't. But seriously obviously you have to do all the AMPs.
This is a decent effort though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”