Quick Civ Pro Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Korematsu

New

Quick Civ Pro Question

Post by Korematsu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 pm

This probably sounds stupid to you guys but I am studying and I am having trouble determining if the court would have jurisdiction over the defendant on this hypo:

P (Alaska domicile) v. D (Massachusetts domicile)
Claim for battery occurring in Colorado in California state court.
D owns a residence in California & employs California residents to maintain the property.

Assuming D receives proper service in California, Does California have jurisdiction over the D as a result of his California "residence," even though he is domiciled in Massachusetts and the battery happened outside of California?

dietcoke0

Silver

Re: Quick Civ Pro Question

Post by dietcoke0 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Dude got served in Cali? Should be all you need bro. Doesn't matter about his residence (which would usually not be a factor if I remember correctly.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 am

I don't think there's PJ in this situation post Connecticut v. Doehr. This is a quasi in rem type 2 action unrelated to a claim from the property, so Dubin v. Philadelphia doesn't apply.
This is for a long arm statute. Didn't see in person service in the OP.
Last edited by hephaestus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Dude got served in Cali? Should be all you need bro. Doesn't matter about his residence (which would usually not be a factor if I remember correctly.
My recollection as well.

Korematsu

New

Post by Korematsu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 am

Okay. Thanks for the replies. If there wasn't service of process in California - lets say D was served by the California court via certified mail in Massachusetts - would D's second "residence" there be sufficient to establish general jurisdiction over him in California making him amenable to the suit for battery occurring outside the state?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:09 pm

The test for general jurisdiction is "continuous and systematic" contact.

So, I suppose P's argument would be that through the maintenance of the house in CA, D met the standard.

But, that's pretty weak. You'd other forms of evidence to prove that D had "continuous and systematic contact."

The simple maintenance of a house may not cut it for some courts.

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Korematsu wrote:Okay. Thanks for the replies. If there wasn't service of process in California - lets say D was served by the California court via certified mail in Massachusetts - would D's second "residence" there be sufficient to establish general jurisdiction over him in California making him amenable to the suit for battery occurring outside the state?
No way, Jose. To satisfy PJ in California for an action arising in CO defendant individual would have to be subject to general jursidiction in CA. He is propertly domiciled in MA not CA.

Substantial and pervasive contact with the forum is only relevant to corporations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”