Law schools offering joint JD/Tax LLM to visiting student? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nestico87

New

Law schools offering joint JD/Tax LLM to visiting student?

Post by Nestico87 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 pm

I was surprised to learn Northwestern offers an "accelerated" tax llm to visiting students. In other words, you remain a student at your current law school and apply as a 2L to their program. If accepted, you "visit" Northwestern for part of 3L year and finish the llm the summer after graduating law school. In short, you get an llm quicker.

What other schools offer programs like this? Do YHS or other top 14 schools offer programs similar to Northwestern's? (Do YH or S even have domestic tax LLMs?)

(And please restrain from replying that the only Tax LLMs worth getting are NYU, Georgetown, and Florida. Although that might be the case for primary/big city legal markets, it is not true for the Utah/surrounding area market; around here, an LLM in tax from Washington is as impressive as from Florida and, contrary to popular belief, LLMs in tax are valued in smaller legal markets.)

Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

overkillhsc

New

Re: Law schools offering joint JD/Tax LLM to visiting student?

Post by overkillhsc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm looking for the page on NU's website that talks about their accelerated tax LLM--could you point me to it?

Also, Georgetown has a similar accelerated tax LLM to the one you describe; GULC's basically cuts the amount of time between the JD and the LLM to one semester instead of two.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”