Suffolk/NESL Journals Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Silver

Suffolk/NESL Journals

Post by BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Do some schools like Suffolk or NESL purposefully try and ensure all of their students land jobs on their school law reviews so as to make them more competitive? It seems like everyone that I've ever known from one of these two schools is on law review. Seems kind of unfair. If this is a practice at these schools, I'm sure it's not limited just to them, but rather all TTT or TTTT's.

Not that I think this practice will help those students get jobs but still worth discussing.

Icculus

Silver

Re: Suffolk/NESL Journals

Post by Icculus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Are you talking about the flagship journal or secondary journals? Many schools, including the T14, have set it up so if someone wants to be on a journal they can.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Icculus wrote:Are you talking about the flagship journal or secondary journals? Many schools, including the T14, have set it up so if someone wants to be on a journal they can.
I guess the entire combination of the secondary/flagship. I didn't realize most schools did this.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 pm

BCLS wrote:Do some schools like Suffolk or NESL purposefully try and ensure all of their students land jobs on their school law reviews so as to make them more competitive? It seems like everyone that I've ever known from one of these two schools is on law review. Seems kind of unfair. If this is a practice at these schools, I'm sure it's not limited just to them, but rather all TTT or TTTT's.

Not that I think this practice will help those students get jobs but still worth discussing.
Dude - They do this at BC. Many more people on journals at BC than at Suffolk (especially in terms of a percentage of the class).

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 am

Na they def don't. You're just mad because you went to Suffolk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:43 pm

BCLS wrote:Na they def don't. You're just mad because you went to Suffolk.
Haha - I'm certainly not mad. But I know for a fact that a greater percentage of the class at BC is on a journal than at Suffolk. You've probably ran into Suffolk kids involved with a journal because they are the only ones worth running into.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:09 pm

I just worry this will unfairly give NESL and Suffolk grads a valuable preftige marker and they'll rob T14 grads of Art III clerkships and big firm jobs. How could an employer resist the allure of a Suffolk LR student? Imagine the feather in the cap of a recruiter who snags that hot property.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:59 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
BCLS wrote:Na they def don't. You're just mad because you went to Suffolk.
Haha - I'm certainly not mad. But I know for a fact that a greater percentage of the class at BC is on a journal than at Suffolk. You've probably ran into Suffolk kids involved with a journal because they are the only ones worth running into.
There are 141 students at Suffolk on journals, compared to 174 at BC, and Suffolk has more than double the number of students.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I just worry this will unfairly give NESL and Suffolk grads a valuable preftige marker and they'll rob T14 grads of Art III clerkships and big firm jobs. How could an employer resist the allure of a Suffolk LR student? Imagine the feather in the cap of a recruiter who snags that hot property.
I got no offered because they found a NESL grad on law review to take my place. Sucks, but I can't compete with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 am

Law review at Suffolk and NESL is not even prestigious. Why would a secondary matter? These journals literally never get cited and employers will not care one bit. Talk about wasted work. Go to a different school.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:28 pm

suuuure you just wanted to discuss....

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p4026565

Now if you are genuinely concerned, which I'm certain you are not, no there is no such guarantee.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:44 pm

waxecstatic wrote:suuuure you just wanted to discuss....

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p4026565

Now if you are genuinely concerned, which I'm certain you are not, no there is no such guarantee.
Don't be bitter since you go to Suffuck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Usually it's only the top schools that can afford to have 10 million journals. I think most lower ranked schools only have one or two.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

goodolgil wrote:Usually it's only the top schools that can afford to have 10 million journals. I think most lower ranked schools only have one or two.
No, lower ranked schools can still have half a dozen and often do.

But this doesn't matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”