Prof made error in grading - what to do? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MBZags

Silver

Prof made error in grading - what to do?

Post by MBZags » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 am

I got a really shitty grade in one of my courses fall semester. It was an uncurved class, though the prof didn't just give everyone A's. I scheduled a meeting with the professor to figure out what went wrong.

As it turns out, ExamSoft did not print out one of my answers, or it somehow got lost. Anyway, the professor apologized to me and told me that she would re-grade my exam. She said that, at the minimum, I would get an A-. She said she would send me my new grade in a few days. This was back in the middle of January. I waited about 10 days, saw her again, she apologized and told me she would have my grade to me by the next morning. I waited about another 10 days, e-mailed her, same answer, and same lack of action. Finally, I e-mailed her three days ago and haven't gotten a response.

I'm slightly worried because this is the professor's last semester at my school, and I doubt she gives a shit about pissing students off. It's been about five or six weeks since our initial conversation, and this whole situation is getting a tad ridiculous. At the same time, I don't know if I want to go over her head to one of the deans and piss her off since, obviously, it's not anonymous grading anymore. The difference in my GPA could even up affecting my graduating honors.

Any recommendations?

laxbrah420

Gold

Re: Prof made error in grading - what to do?

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:52 am

why dont you just knock on her door?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:57 am

I've gone to her office twice already, which hasn't done anything.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 am

Go to your dean of students or whoever. Don't be like you're accusing the prof of trying to screw you over, just say that you're worried that your one little grade is getting buried in her busy inbox (figuratively speaking) and you wondered if they (the dean of students) could help you remind the professor that it's important.

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 am

tough spot because....if you're assertive/direct with her there's always that tiny possibility that it will have a negative effect on her view of you /your grade. hmm, email the school and have them contact your prof. not having a grade by late feb is...pretty rediculous. then again though.....honestly she might get pissed if she thinks you emailed the school. that's a shitty spot to be in. might sound dumb to think your action here could impact your grade but you never know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 am

I don't know how aspie you are so it's hard to give good advice on getting people to take you seriously when you talk to them, but there's a 95% chance this is your fault and you need to go talk again and actually make what you wrote in this thread clear to her, politely.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 am

Do you have it in writing that she would change your grade? If so, review your appeals process at school and contact the dean. At my school you have to take sufficient steps to resolve the issue with a professor before contacting the Dean. The meetings and follow up you described are sufficient.

Paper yourself, CYA, and always be kind and tactful. It could also be that the grade change has been submitted and your registrars office is slow to change.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I don't know how aspie you are so it's hard to give good advice on getting people to take you seriously when you talk to them, but there's a 95% chance this is your fault and you need to go talk again and actually make what you wrote in this thread clear to her, politely.
...Right. In one of the e-mails and in person, the professor explicitly told me that my grade would be changed to at least an A-. There's no ambiguity going on.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Yeah, if you have it in writing (e-mail), I would definitely go to a dean of students or the like - very politely, as someone has already said, couching it as "I know faculty are terribly busy and I don't want to cause Prof. X any problems, I just wanted to make sure there was no glitch in the system keeping the grade from going through" - that kind of thing. Maybe be able to say how long it's been since all grades for all 1L classes have been in? (I know some schools get all the grades in ridiculously late, so knowing whether it's just been a long time since this prof told you the grade would change, versus a long time since all grades have been in, might be useful.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 pm

You're a 3l, relax

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, if you have it in writing (e-mail), I would definitely go to a dean of students or the like - very politely, as someone has already said, couching it as "I know faculty are terribly busy and I don't want to cause Prof. X any problems, I just wanted to make sure there was no glitch in the system keeping the grade from going through" - that kind of thing.
This

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Go to the top and politely ask to get this resolved, i.e., what a normal person (not a law student) would do.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Write a nasty email about your professor to the dean. CC your professor. Problem solved.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

remind the professor about your situation. First send said professor an email. If you dont get a response within 48 hours, kindly knock on the door until you get something done. If you have any communication in writing from the prof to you explaining the situation, print out a copy and talk to the dean of students asap, unless the grade has been updated. You also might want to CC the records office

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”