Important VA Bar Exam question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lukertin

Silver

Important VA Bar Exam question

Post by lukertin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 pm

Do they grade essays based on your knowledge of VA law, or do they just fudge it to see how well you can write/argue logically?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Important VA Bar Exam question

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 pm

:?: :?: :?: Why would they test on Virginia law if they didn't expect you to know anything about it? If there are state-specific essays, they'll expect you to know that's state's law. (Which isn't the same as saying you can't pass without knowing anything about Virginia law, of course.)

(Unless there's something unique about the VA bar exam that I don't know about...)

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

You're kidding right? There are tons of state bar exams where you could make the law up and you would still get full credit as long as your answer is coherent and logical.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Such as? I'm seriously curious.

(I'm not saying that if you make up the law and have a coherent/logical answer you won't get some credit or enough credit to pass. I'm just saying the whole point of having state law questions is to actually test state law.)
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:38 pm

New York, North Carolina, for example.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

lukertin wrote:New York, North Carolina, for example.
See, I've heard you can pass NY without knowing anything about NY law, which isn't really the same thing - but then, I've never taken the sucker.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lukertin wrote:New York, North Carolina, for example.
See, I've heard you can pass NY without knowing anything about NY law, which isn't really the same thing - but then, I've never taken the sucker.
That's basically the same thing. I don't see what the difference is.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Well, there's a difference between being able to get enough points to pass without knowing NY law, and getting full credit for the answer, is all. (Not that getting full credit is worth aspring for on the bar, obviously, but the question was about getting full credit, which to me isn't just passing, it's getting all the points available.) Asking if you can pass the VA bar without knowing VA law is different from asking if they don't grade on your knowledge of VA law or saying you can get full credit without knowing VA law.

(Sorry, I realize I'm being pedantic - I'm home sick today and cranky.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”