Depressed About Grades Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pastapplicant

New

Depressed About Grades

Post by pastapplicant » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Edited
Last edited by pastapplicant on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowser

Bronze

Re: Depressed About Grades

Post by bowser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

You're above median. Depending on how you do next semester you might have law-review worthy grades, or whatever. There are people with significantly higher GPAs who probably feel kinda bummed, too.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

There's still another semester.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

And there are people with lower grades would probably kick you for whining about being above median. Don't be the teenager who throws a tantrum because they got the wrong color iphone for Christmas.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Dude, above median at CCN is more than fine. Assuming you're not weird at interviews you'll get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

pastapplicant wrote:3.35 GPA at CCN. I know I should be grateful for what I have yet I can't help but feel a bit let down that I will never make law review now and etc. Anyone else depressed due to the law school curve?
It's okay to be disappointed. But don't think that you can't make law review. I'm not sure what it is like at your school, but at mine the majority of law review acceptances are made purely on the basis write-on competition scores. Keep your chin up, try and figure out what you can do to improve your performance next semester, and give the write-on your best effort.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 pm

meh . . . law review is for dorks. every last person I know on a journal absolutely hates it. slaving away on something nobody reads, the sole purpose of which is to give profs an excuse for teaching a light course load . . . just to be able to say "I made it." All that glitters is not gold.

Just try not to let your grades drop. Spend all your time networking and improving job prospects. I know people in top10% and people on law review w/ no job . . . they should have spent more time networking, locking down good 1L work. You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 pm

portaprokoss wrote:meh . . . law review is for dorks. every last person I know on a journal absolutely hates it. slaving away on something nobody reads, the sole purpose of which is to give profs an excuse for teaching a light course load . . . just to be able to say "I made it." All that glitters is not gold.

Just try not to let your grades drop. Spend all your time networking and improving job prospects. I know people in top10% and people on law review w/ no job . . . they should have spent more time networking, locking down good 1L work. You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.
What is this, middle school?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 am

portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.

woah, surprise there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 am

ph14 wrote:What is this, middle school?
yes.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

mephistopheles wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.

woah, surprise there.
Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. 1Ls freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking
Last edited by portaprokoss on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

woah, surprise there.
Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. People freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this.
This is a bit of an exaggeration. Grades still matter, although they aren't absolutely everything.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

ph14 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

woah, surprise there.
Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. People freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this.
This is a bit of an exaggeration. Grades still matter, although they aren't absolutely everything.
Actually it's true anecdote. Grades matter, sure . . . but only for getting a candidate past the laugh test. No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10. Once you get past the laugh test networking, 1L summer work, and interviewing skills matter so much more than being in the top 10% & LR.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:17 am

portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

woah, surprise there.
Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. 1Ls freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking

What you're saying contradicts almost everything I've heard. OP attends CCN. To say having LR and top-5% grades at one of those schools counts for very little when it comes to OCI seems impossible.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:20 am

bowser wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

woah, surprise there.

What you're saying contradicts almost everything I've heard. OP attends CCN. To say having LR and top-5% grades at one of those schools counts for very little when it comes to OCI seems impossible.
Yes. Portaprokoss is exaggerating.
portaprokoss wrote:Actually it's true anecdote. Grades matter, sure . . . but only for getting a candidate past the laugh test. No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10. Once you get past the laugh test networking, 1L summer work, and interviewing skills matter so much more than being in the top 10% & LR.
I never said it wasn't a true anecdote, but it's more the exception than the rule, and you shouldn't base a generalization based on the fact that some data points don't fit the pattern. Top 10% & LR is much more important than your "1L summer work" for example. Anyways, this is sidetracking the thread, so let's stop this discussion.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

portaprokoss wrote:
ph14 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

woah, surprise there.
Actually it's true anecdote. Grades matter, sure . . . but only for getting a candidate past the laugh test. No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10. Once you get past the laugh test networking, 1L summer work, and interviewing skills matter so much more than being in the top 10% & LR.
This is what happens to our brains after a few years of living and breathing cases. Too bad Life-Jurisdiction doesn't follow stare decisis.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 am

I can think of several firms that will laugh at top 40% from T10 law schools. Like, off the top of my head.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 am

portaprokoss wrote: No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10.
This is a classic BruceWayne bat signal. Quickly!

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 am

pastapplicant wrote:3.35 GPA at CCN. I know I should be grateful for what I have yet I can't help but feel a bit let down that I will never make law review now and etc. Anyone else depressed due to the law school curve?
Had similar grades after first semester. Then made law review, got my first choice firm, and graduated with honors. Plenty of time to improve. Don't stress out. Find out how to do better and focus on that.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 am

thesealocust wrote:I can think of several firms that will laugh at top 40% from T10 law schools. Like, off the top of my head.
Really. Care to name them? I'm hard pressed to think of a v-10 (save the two) that didn't callback or offer people from my school in the in the 30-50% range. They certainly didn't laugh at me.

Of course better grades give better opportunities generally, but look over the jobs threads for this year and you'll see the same thing over and over: "surprised how little grades mattered."
Last edited by portaprokoss on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am

portaprokoss wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I can think of several firms that will laugh at top 40% from T10 law schools. Like, off the top of my head.
Really. Care to name them? I'm hard pressed to think of a v-10 (save the two) that didn't callback or offer people in the 30-50% range. They certainly didn't laugh at me.
The V10 aren't necessarily the most selective firms and are a poor metric in general. W&C, MTO, Susman, Keker, Boies are all very selective, just to name a few. Also, "save the two" is terrible anti-S&C trolling.

In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:03 am

ph14 wrote:In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.
My claim is this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking

I never said grades don't matter

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

portaprokoss wrote:
ph14 wrote:In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.

That's still a bad claim, at least regards OCI.

portaprokoss

Bronze

Post by portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 am

ph14 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:

That's still a bad claim, at least regards OCI.
Successful networking results in people who are inside the firm pulling for you before OCI even begins. A good 1L job should give you opportunities to meet lawyers at top firms. It's simply false that being one of the faceless dozens w/ top-10% from a T-14, or one of the faceless dozens on a journal, is more important than having lawyers on the inside at a firm actively championing your hire before OCI has even begun.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 am

OP, just do a secondary journal if you really have that much self-loathing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”