1L looking for advice from older IP students Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pmench31

New

1L looking for advice from older IP students

Post by pmench31 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I met a woman on an elevator who just happened to be in house counsel for a top pharmaceutical company. She gave me her card, talked to me on the phone for a half an hour, and took my resume to send to a couple firms. Through her, IPfirm in DC recently requested I come to their office and is paying for the trip. I understand I am the luckiest person alive, so that doesn't need to be addressed. At a T30 school, my grades should be above the median (I still need one more grade but unless I bomb it, I will be). I went to a lower ranked public school for mechanical engineering but graduated top of my class. I know generally 1L's aren't looked at, especially ones with average grades from a non T14. Do you guys believe this is just a favor for the woman I met, or is it a CB of sorts and do I have a shot at a summer position? Have any of you IP students had a 1L summer position with a boutique. I haven't passed the Patent Bar, but want to take it at the end of the summer if possible.
Last edited by pmench31 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninjaunderwear

New

Re: 1L looking for advice from older IP students

Post by ninjaunderwear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Is this just a brag post?

pmench31

New

Post by pmench31 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 pm

im not trying to brag at all I am honestly curious. if it is taken as a brag i apologize that's the last thing i'm trying to do. i know some people on here may have gone through similar stuff or amy have insight. as i said, i am the luckiest person alive to even be in this situation

AC Vegas

New

Post by AC Vegas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 pm

C'mon guy. How the hell would anyone on here know the answer to your question. IP jobs are out there so it's likely that they are actually looking to fill a position. But if you come off like you do in that post when you go there I wouldn't get my hopes up.

19anonanonanon89

New

Post by 19anonanonanon89 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 pm

AC Vegas wrote:C'mon guy. How the hell would anyone on here know the answer to your question. IP jobs are out there so it's likely that they are actually looking to fill a position. But if you come off like you do in that post when you go there I wouldn't get my hopes up.
What's with everyone being so butthurt? OP asked a legitimate question.

For what it's worth, I am not an IP student. But general consensus is that the market for IP attorneys is quite good, so this may be a legitimate attempt to get you while you're young, so to speak. I have heard of firms hiring directly from undergrad, and then paying for law school, so I would not be surprised if they hire 1L SAs with the aim of retaining those SAs post-graduation.

Anyway. Good job!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 am

Your situation actually isn't all that uncommon for IP kids. You're much more useful to a firm than a regular 1L because they can actually put you to work drafting patent applications because you have the background knowledge to understand what you're writing about. Most IP summers haven't sat for the patent bar, or even know what it is, so don't worry about that. In fact, many IP litigators haven't either. You really only need it for patent prosecution and some firms don't do that at all.

So yes, you have a real shot of getting a SA there. Read about how to mass mail in the stickies and blanket other IP firms too.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Yes, sounds like they are considering hiring you. In descending order of importance, here's why:

1. Firms don't fly you out to buy you breakfast
2. Firms care what their clients say, and take their recs seriously
3. Contrary to the Internets, firms hire 1Ls pretty commonly, just not nearly as many as they hire 2Ls.

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm

First, off congratulations on the CB. Second, I will be a SA this coming summer at Stern Kessler, and my story is pretty unique as well in how I got an interview with them to begin with.

Bottom line is firms want the best possible associates that will best suit their clients. Whether that is that they can show you are the top of your class, go to the best law school, or are already recognized by a client as someone they would want to see working on their technologies (your case) it does not matter. With SKGF be yourself during the interviews and show that you are capable of doing the work and more importantly willing lto learn and put in the time and you will be fine.

As far as being lucky, yes maybe, but remember it was your personality and impression made that sets you apart from anyone else who may have been in the same position talking to that specific person. That is far more important than how great of a law student you are. Again congratulations!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”