Made one typo. Am I boned? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MrSparkle

Bronze

Made one typo. Am I boned?

Post by MrSparkle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Found one missing "of" in my cover letter that I've already sent to ~10 firms. They were my top choices, too. Has anyone done that and still gotten an interview? Or just tell me I'm boned.

Thank goodness I didn't mail merge the letter already...but still.

Comfort/chastise me.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Re: Made one typo. Am I boned?

Post by HellOnHeels » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm

there's nothing you can do it about it now, so stop worrying about it. fix the typo before you send it anywhere else :P

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Look at it this way: you probably weren't gonna get any of these firms anyway, so no big deal.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

No. The tendency with small, unimportant words like that is for readers to automatically fill them in. Kind of like this, I guess: http://synergyprograms.com/meet-your-auto-brain/

Firms care about numbers and where you go to school. If you go to school that they usually recruit from and have grades that meet their criteria, there's no reason why a minor typo would mean that you're out of the running for even a screener. Think about this, if firms actually did this, they would probably hurt themselves by shrinking their applicant pool and potentially excluding otherwise well-qualified candidates.

That being said, go over your application materials with a fine tooth comb before sending out any other apps. You could have other people check them for you and/or read everything out loud to yourself to catch hidden typos.

MrSparkle

Bronze

Post by MrSparkle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:11 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:No. The tendency with small, unimportant words like that is for readers to automatically fill them in.
I can attest to that...me and someone else read over my materials 10+ times and missed it. I guess all I can do is pray they get into an automatic-brain groove when reading a bunch of 1L apps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:00 pm

I ended up with interviews from a couple firms that I applied to with a glaring date error on my resume. It said I worked at my 1L firm for three years. This was clearly impossible based on my resume, and one interviewer actually called me on it, but it didnt stop me from getting the interview and I doubt it had any real negative impact.

10 firms isn't that many, so just be glad you noticed this soon!

omg clay aiken !

New

Post by omg clay aiken ! » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 am

i got multiple clerkship interviews with federal judges after sending them a cover letter which stated: "Chief Pubic Defender." i must have proof-read it 20 times too. i think you'll be fine

mg7

Bronze

Post by mg7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:56 am

omg clay aiken ! wrote:i got multiple clerkship interviews with federal judges after sending them a cover letter which stated: "Chief Pubic Defender." i must have proof-read it 20 times too. i think you'll be fine
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”