There was a word limit? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
delusional

Silver

There was a word limit?

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Just discussed an exam from last semester with a buddy. I had thought I killed the exam. Turns out there was a word limit. Went back to check, and I was 1000 words over a 3000 word limit. How screwed am I?

delusional

Silver

Re: There was a word limit?

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:30 pm

That bad, eh?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Who knows? It depends on the professor. But a smart professor wouldn't take away points unless he explicitly warned you that you would lose points if you exceeded the word limit.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm

3|ink wrote:Who knows? It depends on the professor. But a smart professor wouldn't take away points unless he explicitly warned you that you would lose points if you exceeded the word limit.
"smart" is a pretty strange word to use here. it actually sounds kinda dumb for a prof to put a word limit on an exam and have absolutely no consequence for going over.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:38 pm

He'll probably just stop reading at the word limit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:He'll probably just stop reading at the word limit
While I'd be bummed if he did that, I guess it's the best I can hope for. The worst would be those professors who allegedly deduct a point for every ten words over or so.

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:41 pm

delusional wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:He'll probably just stop reading at the word limit
While I'd be bummed if he did that, I guess it's the best I can hope for. The worst would be those professors who allegedly deduct a point for every ten words over or so.
I would agree with Ludovico. Stopping at the word limit is the only penalty I've heard of with word limits. Deducting points for every 10 words seems really unnecessarily harsh.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
3|ink wrote:Who knows? It depends on the professor. But a smart professor wouldn't take away points unless he explicitly warned you that you would lose points if you exceeded the word limit.
"smart" is a pretty strange word to use here. it actually sounds kinda dumb for a prof to put a word limit on an exam and have absolutely no consequence for going over.
All of mine did this. They wanted to give students an idea of their expectations. And they all explicitly said there was no penalty for going over.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 pm

3|ink wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
All of mine did this. They wanted to give students an idea of their expectations. And they all explicitly said there was no penalty for going over.
That would be awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 pm

delusional wrote:
3|ink wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
That would be awesome!
see underlined

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:00 pm

3|ink wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
then it wasn't really a word limit, was it? in any case, based on the other responses it seems like that's going to be the exception.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
3|ink wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
then it wasn't really a word limit, was it? in any case, based on the other responses it seems like that's going to be the exception.
That's what they called it.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 pm

that's fine, whatever, i'm not calling you a liar or anything, just pointing out that your situation seems to be uncommon, and that op should be prepared for some negative consequence of going over the word limit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 pm

3|ink wrote:
delusional wrote:
3|ink wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:
That would be awesome!
see underlined
Aw now you ruined it...

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Every professor I've had that enforced word limits simply stopped reading once the word limit was reached. One professor said he actually has the registrar print only up to the word limit (I'm sure they love this).

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:22 pm

I did something similar last year OP. Had a 3500 word limit that I completely ignored and wrote something like 4200. Professor did a percentage based deduction based on how far I went over the wordlimit. The good part was that he actually graded every word I wrote and then just a proportional deduction; if he had stopped at 3500 I would have got no credit for 1.5 out of 5 questions. The "bad" part was he actually graded the whole exam and told me what I would have gotten had I not violated the word limit, which just made it all the more demoralizing when I saw the final grade I could have had and then the grade that was on my transcript.

Hopefully if you really did kill the exam, your professor will be like mine and reward your knowledge and effort by grading the whole exam and then take off points for the technical violations at the end.

By the way, this was an in-class exam. I tend to think that the draconian "I stop reading at word X" rules are really only enforced on takehomes where everyone could exceed the word limit if they wanted to since there's no time limit. That seems more like flagrantly gaining an unfair advantage. On a regular 3 hour issue spotter, word limits seem to be more like giving expectation guidelines and the time limit usually evens the playing field so the penalties are less severe, if there are any at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Just came across this topic again while looking for an old post. I'll fill in the end of the story in case someone in a similar situation searches TLS for "exam word limit".

I got a good grade on the exam. When I discussed it with the professor, she said the consequence of going over the word limit was that she usually gave a bonus to people who hit a particular number of issues in a given question, but she didn't give that bonus to me because it took me too many words to hit all the issues.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 pm

delusional wrote:Just came across this topic again while looking for an old post. I'll fill in the end of the story in case someone in a similar situation searches TLS for "exam word limit".

I got a good grade on the exam. When I discussed it with the professor, she said the consequence of going over the word limit was that she usually gave a bonus to people who hit a particular number of issues in a given question, but she didn't give that bonus to me because it took me too many words to hit all the issues.
Holy crap that's lucky. Plenty of profs just stop reading at the cutoff.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:17 pm

My Crim law prof sent out the three top exams in our class after the final. All of them exceeded the word count (one by over a thousand words). I was furious.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”