. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Re: Clapping for professors?

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Clap with your hands for below par and par and twerk for the good ones dude. As a rule i make my booty clap for exactly one professor a semester

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:05 pm

It's stupid and I hate it. If I really enjoyed a class, I make it a point to stop by the professor's office (after I've gotten my grade so there is no chance of a misconception) and telling them how much I enjoyed it. I think that means more, and I've gotten close with a couple of professors doing that.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 pm

kalvano wrote:It's stupid and I hate it.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I thought it was the dumbest thing ever too. Didn't know it was some sort of law school tradition at all. However, of course someone always starts the clap in every class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 pm

i dont think its just a law school thing, i think its just fallen away in undergrad bc undergrads are not into such obsequious displays of "respect" anymore

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:35 pm

I dont think anyone knew of this tradition in my class and at the end of our civ pro class (we only take it 1 semester so it was the last time we would see him) the teacher looked around like he was expecting something then after a solid minute one person kinda half ass started to clap and stopped after like 3 slaps when he realized everyone was just packin their shit and didnt care...it was really awkward and i actually felt kinda bad for the prof.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 pm

We had two professors explicitly state not to clap them out of the room because they felt it made it awkward.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:39 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:We had two professors explicitly state not to clap them out of the room because they felt it made it awkward.
So...djuclap?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm

atcushman wrote:I dont think anyone knew of this tradition in my class and at the end of our civ pro class (we only take it 1 semester so it was the last time we would see him) the teacher looked around like he was expecting something then after a solid minute one person kinda half ass started to clap and stopped after like 3 slaps when he realized everyone was just packin their shit and didnt care...it was really awkward and i actually felt kinda bad for the prof.
Don't feel bad. The dude gets paid a TON of money to teach the same thing every year and write articles that barely anyone reads.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Ya it was his first time teaching a 1L class he had supervised some clinics and given some smaller upper level classes he is a nice guy but the entire semester was pretty fucking rough so the feeling lasted about as long as it took for me to shut my laptop and get out of my chair

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Apparently it is a tradition at my LS for teachers to take the last 5-10 minutes to talk about whatever they want, so they each went on tangents about random academic mind fuck things which was annoying and we then clapped.

We clapped in UG too, never understood why, these people are not their to entertain and they aren't giving any sort of compelling unique speech.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, I always find it odd. Except for in Dressler's class. Dude earned it. He made me cry during the last class (live life day by day and do what you love kinda speech).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 pm

I think clapping is a respect thing. It's customary at this point even if maybe it shouldn't be, so not clapping is beta IMO.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:03 pm

I did it for my good profs and I watched them happily smirk jewishly as they walked out in delight and then it made me smirk jewishly because I knew I had made their day and then I was happy. I am a giver, people.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Can one smirk whitely?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah, I think almost every class I've had at UChicago has ended the final day with clapping for the prof. I've really liked all my professors so I didn't resent it. It's kind of a strange tradition, but whatever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:57 pm

I heard academia is a circle-jerk where a bunch of out-of-touch individuals make up awards and honors to give their equally out-of-touch friends and then it is reciprocated, thus closing the circle. It seems to me years ago one of these individuals told of a yet-practiced clap for professors tradition and another token of self-gratification for the ivory tower was established.

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 pm

In 1L year we clapped for every single professor, but maybe because they were all amazing. I was lucky. This semester we clapped for 2/4 professors we had, but I think those two really did deserve it.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am

clapping for every prof regardless of quality=shitboomer?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:22 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:36 am

I think one of my professors was butthurt that we didn't clap for him. He shouldn't have kept us extra on the last day.

Once after a particularly good torts lecture (around early October) there was a spontaneous standing ovation. I think that was more appreciated than clapping like trained seals on the last day.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I am brave because I sit there silently while everybody else claps.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 pm

I always figured it's one of those moments many professors secretly cherish, some sort of moment where their mastery of the law is lauded and students express their awe and gratitude en masse, the sort of moment they'll repeat to underpaid nurses at a rest home some day. When your law review articles barely get cited (and only get cited for the purpose of contriving an even more obscure law review article), you never win teacher of the year type awards, etc. I imagine it is as good as it gets. I guess I had some sort of utilitarian sense that it was worth it in that sense, because it's such a small amount of effort on my part for what is probably, in the long run, a big hit for the professors.

That said, it can definitely be awkward and feel contrived. I had one professor where I was probably one of four people clapping, in which case it really would have been better for no one to clap at all and for us to pretend we simply didn't observe the practice. Some professors also simply shouldn't get the benefit of anything.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:10 pm

dextermorgan wrote: Once after a particularly good torts lecture (around early October) there was a spontaneous standing ovation. I think that was more appreciated than clapping like trained seals on the last day.
OH WHAT A SCHOLAR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”